Happy hacking keyboard, huh?

Post by Andrew Come » Mon, 14 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Just a less-than-.02-thought:

There is this "Linux-fan oriented" keyboard with a lot of positive
reviews which appeared earlier in this newsgroup..

I was thinking for a while about those nice Kinesis keyboards, but
they seem too expensive (I do not type that much to make a $200
investment, but do email me if you know where to get one for under
$100)... Paying around $60 for a keyboard which looks more like that
of a notebook and is worthless since it is not going to change the
position of hands (and which is just SMALLER!!) definitely seems
excessive.
There is nothing wrong with having extra keys on a keyboard, and one
could even use them properly; I know there are quite a few folks who
already adjusted their keyboards... So I made a few changes myself;
I am posting them just in case someone might want to do something
similar, or instead tell me a few more hints..

Changes to the keypad:

----- ----- ----- -----  NumLock is not changed (what is it??)
----- ----- ----- -----  (/, * are the standard convention)
----- ----- ----- -----
----- ----- ----- | ^ |
----- ----- ----- |   |
----- ----- ----- -----  (there is an underscore under "^")
----- ----- ----- |   |
----------- ----- |   |
----------- ----- | _ |
|   ???   | |???| |   |
----------- ----- -----

The abnormal order of all brackets simplifies typing; the choice of
lines for (), {}, <> is suggested by their original positions

What would be good for those three ??? keys? []?..

Best,
a.

P.S. For people like myself: there are many ways to make this work,
here is one: create the file .xmodmap.keypad like below:

keycode 112 = slash
keycode  63 = asterisk
keycode  82 = numbersign

keycode  79 = parenright
keycode  80 = parenleft
keycode  81 = dollar

keycode  83 = braceright
keycode  84 = braceleft
keycode  85 = dollar
keycode  86 = asciicircum

keycode  87 = greater
keycode  88 = less
keycode  89 = question

keycode  90 = question
keycode  91 = question

keycode 108 = underscore

and say xmodmap .xmodmap.keypard
or add
if [ "$DISPLAY" == ":0.0" ]; then xmodmap .xmodmap.keypad; fi
to your .bashrc
Or maybe just xmodmap .xmodmap.keypad to your .xinitrc...

To get the keycode<->key correspondence, start xev and press
the keys...

--
Looking for a Linux-compatible V.90 modem? See
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modems

1. Happy Hacking keyboard + USB KVM == strange keyboard layout

I've just installed OpenBSD 3.1 on an i386 server.  I'm using a Happy
Hacking keyboard (PS/2) connected via a Belkin KVM that translates the
keyboard and PS/2 mouse signals to USB.  The setup works perfectly, even
during the initial install, with one exception: the '\|' key generates '#~'
(that is, '\' results in '#', and '|' gets '~').  I'm really an OpenBSD
newbie (although the excellent man pages gave me a working bridge/firewall
within hours of installation), and I'm not sure where to start looking for a
solution to this weird little problem.
--
Kirk Strauser

2. get rid of lock permission

3. FS: Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite

4. Word Processors

5. Happy Hacking Keyboard Lite Mk 2 USB Problems with 2.4.18.

6. migration to unix from win 3.11

7. Happy Hacking Keyboard

8. B/W Scanner

9. Happy happy happy

10. Happy Hacking Lite + minicom

11. pinout for happy hacker PC keyboard cable...

12. The Happy Hacker Keyboard

13. FS: PS/2 Happy Hacker Keyboard