Internet Service Provider

Post by Mark Mim » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

Internet Service Provider

Post by Michael Robint » Mon, 08 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>Subject: Re: Internet Service Provider
>Date: 8 Jan 1996 01:22:11 GMT

>: Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
>: so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
>: you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
>: router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.
>        Hello.  I'm using Linux to provide SMTP mail server using sendmail,
>nameserver using named, ftp, telnet, lynx, news using tin.  Our network is
>a thinnet based ethernet connected to the campus fiber backbone. Our LAN
>consists of the Linux box which does all of the above plus acts as a
>gateway, a Novell 4.1 fileserver, approx 30 users using DOS/Windows.  I'm
>preparing to add SLIP/PPP dial-in service on the Linux box ( probably 2
>14.4K and 1 28.8K modems ) and HTML server.  I also run dosemu on the
>linux box because I develop database apps in Clipper for the department.
>I'd probably use samba and WfWG to have client/server if the dept. hadn't
>already spent a couple of grand on Novell.  If your interested in configur-
>ation e-mail me.  I won't give you mine ( hell you could be fishing ), but
>I will point you to the proper docs and will answer any of your questions
>short of giving you copies of my system configs.
>        Have A Nice Day! 8-)

there is also a little program out there (freeware) that allows linux to mount
Novell volumes.  Presumeably you could then export them but I haven't tried it.
Or even ppp in from a remote site to the linux box with a WFWG machine and
attach the samba'd out novel volume to the WFWG platform.

If anyone tries it and it works, post to the news group or email me.  I' d
like to know??

Curious  Michael

Internet Service Provider

Post by Gerald E. Butl » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[...]

Post by William Juli » Tue, 09 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
>so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
>you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
>router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

Check out...
         http://www.amazing.com

        /\_/\    Practice random  kindness
   /\  / o o \   and senseless acts of beauty  William Julien

Internet Service Provider

Post by Bryan J. Phillipp » Wed, 10 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If

> Check out...
>     http://www.amazing.com

Also try: http://www.aa.net /* They are awesome */
          http://www.upx.net
          http://www.pinsight.com

There are too many others for me to remember.

Hope this helps,

Kickin' it since 1.1.59   [1;35m http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~bryanxms  [0m
/* Do not distribute this message across the Microsoft(tm) Network */

Internet Service Provider

Post by Mark Neidor » Thu, 11 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>there is also a little program out there (freeware) that allows linux to mount
>Novell volumes.  Presumeably you could then export them but I haven't tried it.
>Or even ppp in from a remote site to the linux box with a WFWG machine and
>attach the samba'd out novel volume to the WFWG platform.

>If anyone tries it and it works, post to the news group or email me.  I' d
>like to know??

Do you know where the program is?  I need to try to install from a
Novell file server.  {There is the tiny problem of getting the linux
files on the file server in the first place, but never mind that ;-)}

     <<  Mark  >>
                ___
              __HHH__
               (0 0)
  ---------oOO--\_/--OOo---------------------------------------------------
  |   Mark Neidorff                   |  "Don't just stand there.         |

  |   Just Answers!                   |   James T. Kirk - S.T. - V        |
  | Computer Systems Solutions        |                                   |

Internet Service Provider

Post by Doug Ledfo » Fri, 12 Jan 1996 04:00:00

: Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
: so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
: you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
: router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

Check out our website http://dialnet.net.  We run all Linux with the
exception of one piece of Cisco hardware and two NetBlazers used as star
hubs for leased line connections.  We DON'T try to run everything on one
machine though.  We do split services out to different hardware and try
to even loads out.

* Doug Ledford                      *   Unix, Novell, Dos, Windows 3.x,     *

*   PPP access $14.95/month         *****************************************
*   Springfield, MO and surrounding * Usenet news, e-mail and shell account.*
*   communities.  Sign-up online at * Web page creation and hosting, other  *
*   873-9000 V.34                   * services available, call for info.    *

Internet Service Provider

Post by Doug Ledfor » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> >: Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
> >: so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
> >: you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
> >: router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

> >Check out our website http://dialnet.net.  We run all Linux with the
> >exception of one piece of Cisco hardware and two NetBlazers used as star
> >hubs for leased line connections.  We DON'T try to run everything on one
> >machine though.  We do split services out to different hardware and try
> >to even loads out.

> Ok. I'd like to know if there is a packaged "Linux Internet Server
> Ready-To-Run". I know that's possible to build an Linux Internet Server,
> but I prefere to get something already built.

I don't know of any truely ready-to-run-out-of-the-box Linux
distributions that work as servers.  They all have their bugs.  Maybe
security is not up to par on one distribution, another one is missing
this server package, etc.  The one I prefer most is the RedHat 2.1
distribution.  I've only had to get and make a few extra things in order
to set everything up.  We got Apache 1.0 and compiled it, got mgetty 0.99
and made it, got ppp-2.2.0e and put it into kernel and made a new kernel
and a new pppd, and got our own sources for INN 1.4sec and made those.
That was the majority of the work we had to do.  The rest of the work has
been the routine maintenance work you have to do on these things anyway :)

Take it easy.

Post by Carlos Augusto Leite Nett » Mon, 15 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>: Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
>: so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
>: you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
>: router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

>Check out our website http://dialnet.net.  We run all Linux with the
>exception of one piece of Cisco hardware and two NetBlazers used as star
>hubs for leased line connections.  We DON'T try to run everything on one
>machine though.  We do split services out to different hardware and try
>to even loads out.

Ok. I'd like to know if there is a packaged "Linux Internet Server
Ready-To-Run". I know that's possible to build an Linux Internet Server,
but I prefere to get something already built.

Do you know some package like this??

Thanks a lot,

Carlos Netto

Internet Service Provider

Post by Thomas McKearn » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>Ok. I'd like to know if there is a packaged "Linux Internet Server
>Ready-To-Run". I know that's possible to build an Linux Internet Server,
>but I prefere to get something already built.

>Do you know some package like this??

no, but I bought the book "Bulding a Linux Internet Server" which comes with
a 1 CD version of Linux (I think it's slackware - I installed a different
version).  It tells you what servers to install.   It discusses security
issues and a bunch of other stuff.  It is not too bad.

tom

Internet Service Provider

Post by Sean Ut » Wed, 17 Jan 1996 04:00:00

[snip]

> > >Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If

[snip]

Also us at http://www.northwest.com  on the web for a year now, and
having a ball.

also home to the portland linux users group
http://www.northwest.com/sean/linux.html

sean

--
    Autobahn Internet Services Inc.  P.O. Box 1247 Sherwood, OR 97140
     Charting a Course to the Future with WebMaster Sean at the Helm

Internet Service Provider

Post by Magnus Red » Thu, 18 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>Ok. I'd like to know if there is a packaged "Linux Internet Server
>Ready-To-Run". I know that's possible to build an Linux Internet Server,
>but I prefere to get something already built.
>Do you know some package like this??

We have developed such a package at Signum.  It is the usual services
complemenmted with a Tcl/Tk shell for sysadmin and we are selling it
to companies and schools who want an easy way to run DNS, useradmin,
email, news, WWW, FTP and Gopher. We have an add on module for
administrating a modem pool and one for billing the use of the modem
pool.  You create payment plans with periods that cycle on a weekly
basis and then you assign a payment plan to each user.  The program
sums up the use and creates files that can for instance be imported
into Excel.  We sell it with one year of support in the price.
The packet is so easy to use that we have school teachers managing it.

You can check it out at http://www.signum.se/ where we have a
WWW-demo.  We have english pages but the English translation of
ReadyNet is not finished yet.

Please tell me what you think about it.

--
--Free software--I  Magnus Redin        I  WWW   http://www.signum.se/

mer ?n vad man   I  Teknikringen 8      I  fax   +46 (0)13 214700
betalar f?r.     I  S-583 30 LINKOPING  I  tel   +46 (0)13 214600
--

Post by Inge Wall » Sat, 20 Jan 1996 04:00:00

>>: Is there anyone using linux to run as internet service provider?  If
>>: so could you tell me your configuration and the number of user's that
>>: you are supporting.  Also if you are using linux as your
>>: router/gateway & sever.  Thanks in advance.

>>Check out our website http://dialnet.net.  We run all Linux with the
>>exception of one piece of Cisco hardware and two NetBlazers used as star
>>hubs for leased line connections.  We DON'T try to run everything on one
>>machine though.  We do split services out to different hardware and try
>>to even loads out.
>Ok. I'd like to know if there is a packaged "Linux Internet Server
>Ready-To-Run". I know that's possible to build an Linux Internet Server,
>but I prefere to get something already built.
>Do you know some package like this??

Ask and you shall receive!
Try http://www.signum.se/readynet/

>Thanks a lot,
>Carlos Netto

        -Inge

Inge Wallin               Signum Support AB develops,   Signum Support AB

Tel:   +46-(0)13-214600   free software on a            S-583 30  LINK?PING
Fax:   +46-(0)13-214700   commercial basis.             Sweden

1. Connecting to the Internet via Internet service provider (How?)

I want to be able to connect to my internet service provider via modem
with Linux.  I currently use Netscape 1.1 when in DOS.  I know that I
need a graphical web browser like Netscape (I have Xfree86 up and
running ) but what else is needed.  I've heard of 'dip' but don't
really know what it is or why I might need it.  I have e-mailed tech
support at my internet service provider for help but haven't gotten a
response back yet and I am very anxious to get on the web via
Linux....any help would be greatly appreciated.

What about DOSEMU?  What would be the disadvantage to just use my
current Netscape 1.1 (windows) with DOSEMU (if it works)?

Thank you in advance.

2. Extended read failed

3. Getting Linux to collect my Mail via internet service provider

4. P6SNS Supermicro motherboard?

5. WANTED to talk with other Internet Service Providers...

6. PPP dial up

7. WWW: Linux Internet Service Provider Mailing List

8. Stuff

9. Open Server Enterprise 5.0 - Connecting to an Internet Service Provider

10. Internet Service Provider accounting

11. Why do internet service providers like BSD ?

12. starting Internet Service Provider

13. dial to an internet service provider