CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

Post by OLCAY B » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I bought a HP CDWruter 8100i and installed it to my Windows NT server PC.

I have another PC and I am running Linux 2.0.33 on it. I wanted to backup my
linux system to CDRs. I created backup files in tar.gz format and ftped
them to my NT server. Then burned the CDR. CDr is iso9660, it is CDROM (not
CRDROM XA). I can read that CD in NT Server (used Winzip32). But when I try to
mount it on linux first it sometimes mounts it sometimes it complains about
the superblock or filesystem on the CD. If I can mount it I can read some
of the files and for some of the files it gives me STDIO error.

I used to burn CDRs on a SCSI CD writer before. Those were working OK, (I
burned those under windows 95).

Does anybody have any idea? I had this problem with two HP CDWriter 8100i.

I will appreciate any help,

--
-------
c|:-)_____________________________________________________________c|:-)

CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

Post by Charles Wilkin » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Sup linuxer-
First, I would upgrade the kernel to 2.0.36
Then, I would compile it with all of the filesystems, including Joliet and
iso9660.
Charles

Quote:

> I bought a HP CDWruter 8100i and installed it to my Windows NT server PC.

> I have another PC and I am running Linux 2.0.33 on it. I wanted to backup
my
> linux system to CDRs. I created backup files in tar.gz format and ftped
> them to my NT server. Then burned the CDR. CDr is iso9660, it is CDROM
(not
> CRDROM XA). I can read that CD in NT Server (used Winzip32). But when I
try to
> mount it on linux first it sometimes mounts it sometimes it complains
about
> the superblock or filesystem on the CD. If I can mount it I can read some
> of the files and for some of the files it gives me STDIO error.

> I used to burn CDRs on a SCSI CD writer before. Those were working OK, (I
> burned those under windows 95).

> Does anybody have any idea? I had this problem with two HP CDWriter
8100i.

> I will appreciate any help,

> --
> -------
> c|:-)_____________________________________________________________c|:-)
>        Olcay Boz  Lehigh University EECS Dept. Ph. D. Student
>               http://www.lehigh.edu/~ob00/ob00.html
>        Phone (office) : (610) 758-4508 (home) : (610) 758-1886
> c|:-)_____________________________________________________________c|:-)

CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

Post by Gary Momariso » Mon, 21 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Are you sure its ISO9660? I think I read that NT can use a
new "UDF" format.  But I suppose you couldn't read anything
ever.  Anyway, here's more info on UDF:

<A HREF="http://trylinux.com/projects/udf/">
UDF - Universal Disk Format</A>&nbsp
 Used with DVD, CD-R, and CD-RW. With info and driver.

1. CDRs I burn in Windows NT server are not readable in Linux

[ Article crossposted from comp.os.linux.misc ]
[ Author was OLCAY BOZ ]
[ Posted on 19 Dec 1998 01:24:49 GMT ]

[...]

2. g200 and svgalib

3. Plug-ins not not seen by Gimp

4. Building a library interposer question

5. Windows media Player plug-ins

6. Dlink DFE-530TX problems

7. cdr linux burn reads in windows, no mount in linux

8. Running X in 16bpp

9. getty_ps2.0.7 Still my modem does not accepts dial-ins.

10. what is a INS server?

11. Remote unix (RS/6000) servers with dial-ins

12. Sherlock linux plug-ins / sherlock for linux?

13. NT Web Server : Seeking beta testers for Windows 95, Windows NT Web Server