Installing Solaris x86 without a CD-ROM - possible?

Installing Solaris x86 without a CD-ROM - possible?

Post by Robert Alex Baxte » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

Hello,

I would like to try out Solaris x86 on my computer.
I don't have a compatible CD-ROM (it's not IDE/SCSI) so
I would like to try to copy the CD-ROM contents to a hard
disk and install that way.  Does anyone know how to make the
Solaris x86 filesystem on the hard disk, to put the CD-ROM
contents in?  I have tried dd'ing the CD-ROM to the hard disk
and it loaded the kernel but then crashed (stack trace, etc.).
I have DOS/Win3.1, Win95, OS/2, Linux (Slackware), Linux(Red Hat),
and FreeBSD, so if anyone knows of a utility for any OS that
can help me, I would appreciate the help!

Thanks,
 -Alex

Post by David Perdu » Wed, 14 May 1997 04:00:00

> Hello,

> I would like to try out Solaris x86 on my computer.

alt.solaris.x86
comp.sys.solaris
comp.unix.solaris
git.unix.solaris

I don't know Solaris, but the people in the above groups might. ;-|

--dp

1. Intsall from CD-ROM without a CD-ROM

Hi,

Can anyone help me? I want to set up a LINUX machine, but the PC has
not got a CD-ROM. I do however have access via a Network to an HP9000
running HP-UX and there is also a WIN95 pc with TCP/IP support that
has a CDROM drive.

I thought maybe that I could put enough Linux on a floppy to enable me
to copy or access the rest of the Slackware installation either mounted
on the HP system (or some how on the WIN95 PC, less likely I guess).

Is there a FAQ somewhere, that might answer my question.

2. job offer in Switzerland: Unix System Manager

3. Installing Solaris without Booting CD-Rom

4. MEMORY PROBLEM WITH 8MB RAM IN LINUX ! PLEASE CLARIFY

5. Help! Solaris 8 x86 Install/CD-ROM Problem

6. where is glint?

7. CD-ROM for Solaris 2.4 x86 / OS/2 installs

8. How does cachefsstat work?

9. How to install Solaris 7 x86 from shared cd-rom?

10. EIDE CD-ROM install on Solaris 2.4 for X86

11. How to install Solaris x86 from HD rather than CD-ROM?

12. Can one install Solaris x86 off a SoundBlaster CD-ROM drive?

13. Can't install Yggdrasil summer 94 CD-ROM with SCSI-1 CD-ROM