DNS problem

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Thu, 04 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Precis:
TCP/IP network (one of the 192.168.x.x segments), all machines looking
to one running full DNS within the network (with full authority for the
internal addresses) for service.  This machine is not the gateway which
is a separate machine which masquerades for the network.  When DNS is
started and the gateway is online, all is dandy.  However, the moment
a request is made of the server for external resolution once the gateway
is down, it seems to lock out and won't answer external addresses even
when the gate comes back up.  Resetting it (with "kill -HUP {pid}") gets
it up and running again.

Ideas on how I could stop this locking out would be appreciated,
because it means that my automated dialup procedures (for collecting
news etc.) are to no avail.
--
Raj Rijhwani        (umtsb5/16) |  This is the voice of the Mysterons...

http://www.courtfld.demon.co.uk/raj/ (demon, and gods, willing...)

DNS problem

Post by Robert Billin » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> a request is made of the server for external resolution once the gateway
> is down, it seems to lock out and won't answer external addresses even
> when the gate comes back up.  Resetting it (with "kill -HUP {pid}") gets
> it up and running again.

I had to comment out this line in
/usr/local/lib/diald/standard.filter.m4 to get DNS to bring the link up.

#ignore udp udp.dest=udp.domain,udp.source=udp.domain

--
I am Robert Billing, Christian, inventor, traveller, cook and animal
lover, I live near 0:46W 51:22N.  http://www.tnglwood.demon.co.uk/

DNS problem

Post by Raj Rijhwa » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> > a request is made of the server for external resolution once the gateway
> > is down, it seems to lock out and won't answer external addresses even
> > when the gate comes back up.  Resetting it (with "kill -HUP {pid}") gets
> > it up and running again.
> I had to comment out this line in
> /usr/local/lib/diald/standard.filter.m4 to get DNS to bring the link up.
> #ignore udp udp.dest=udp.domain,udp.source=udp.domain

I'm not using diald, but thanks for the tought.

To clarify, the gateway machine has scheduled dial-up events, whilst
it can also be manually engaged.  Other machines behind it, await the
arrival of mail and periodically try to pick up news, to make full use
of the line whenever it's up.  These machines (and any of the web
browsers that may be active) rely on the internal DNS, which is also
behind the gateway.  As I said before, this works fine when it's
started/reset whilst the line's up, but once the line goes down, asking
for resolution of an external address (as happens when the news
collector polls every few minutes) often causes DNS to lock up, and it
has to be restarted before it will serve another request (even an
internal one).  I've got around this at the moment by the very kludgy
expedient of a "killall -1 named" cron event every 15 minutes.  Dirty,
but sufficiently good to work (for now).  I'd prefer it didn't need to,
though.