Left ALT key only- Why ?

Post by Tony » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 09:46:18

I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.9.
Everything works fairly well, as far as I'm able to determine.

However, when I try to change virtual terminals, only the left ALT key
caues vitrual terminals to switch.

Why doesn't the right ALT key work ?
Is there an easy fix for this ?

thanks

tony

Left ALT key only- Why ?

Post by Leonard Even » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 11:01:12

> I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.9.
> Everything works fairly well, as far as I'm able to determine.  However,
> when I try to change virtual terminals, only the left ALT key caues
> vitrual terminals to switch.
> Why doesn't the right ALT key work ?
> Is there an easy fix for this ?
> thanks
> tony

On my system, using kernel 2.4.3, Ctrl-Alt-F1 takes me to an alternate
terminal whether I use the left keys or the right keys.  But to get back
by Ctrl-Alt-F7, I have to use the left keys; the right keys don't work.

Strange!

Left ALT key only- Why ?

Post by Dances With Cro » Sun, 09 Sep 2001 11:36:10

On 7 Sep 2001 17:46:18 -0700, Tony C staggered into the Black Sun and
said:

Quote:>I'm running Red Hat 7.1 with 2.4.9.  Everything works fairly well, as
>far as I'm able to determine.  However, when I try to change virtual
>terminals, only the left ALT key caues vitrual terminals to switch.

>Why doesn't the right ALT key work ?  Is there an easy fix for this ?

The right ALT is by default mapped not to "Alt" on the console, but to
"AltGr".  Pressing right-Alt generates keycode 100 on the console, while
pressing left-Alt generates keycode 56.  While doing "dumpkeys | more",
you will probably see that keycode 56 is mapped to Alt while keycode 100
is mapped to AltGr.

For a permanent fix, you can edit /usr/lib/kbd/keymaps/$FOO , where $FOO
depends on the architecture of the machine and the keyboard layout and
such.  On my machine, $FOO = i386/qwerty/us.map.gz .  Put something in
there like so:

keycode 100 = Alt
        shift   altgr   keycode 100 = VoidSymbol

That should do it for the console.  X is another matter entirely; there
you would need to do something like

xmodmap -e 'keycode 113 = Alt_L'

HTH,

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /     That which does not kill us
http://www.brainbench.com     /      makes us stranger.
-----------------------------/       --Trevor Goodchild, "AEon Flux"

1. Netscape and ALT+Left,ALT+Right keys

        I am using Netscape 1.0 with XFree86 3.1 on Linux 1.1.59. For some
reason the ALT+Left and ALT+Right keys do nothing instead of executing the
Back and Forward functions. Anyone have any ideas how to fix this ?

Cheers,
Neil

--
Neil Lovely                             |

South East Queensland Electricity Board | Phone  : +61 7 223 4256
GPO Box 1461  Brisbane Q 4001 Australia | Fax    : +61 7 221 7556

2. setting up date and time

3. Left vs. Ctl-Left vs. Alt-Left

4. 100Hz v 1000Hz with contest

5. XFree86 4.1 upgrade: left ALT key no longer META1???

6. Looking for version of FTP that is more robust than standard

7. problems with left alt key

8. Compare Search Results for "reboot" in XP and Linux Newsgroups

9. Getting Left-Alt key to work in Emacs

10. Only left alt key working in bash

11. <alt gr> key as <alt>?

12. <Alt>+<key> = <Esc><key> ?

13. Function of Keys ALT-CTRL key combinations