KDE default desktop regenerated: Why?

Post by Martin Gelfa » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

The system...

Dual PII, pure SCSI.  Formerly running RH5.2, reinstalled
with Mandrake6.0.

The problem...

User personalizes his desktop (deleting gimp, krpm, and
other stuff).   Logs out.  Logs back in.  All the desktop
entries he deleted are now back!

Can prevent this from happening by removing write permission
from ~/Desktop, see error messages in .xsession-errors (cp
failed for...), but we have no idea what process is trying
to regenerate the default desktop entries, or why.  This
does not happen on other Mandrake6.0 systems I have seen.
In fact, it doesn't happen with a "test user" (the default
user set up during the Mandrake install), but the user in
question of course has all sorts of stuff in his home directory
from the previous incarnation of the system.  We have tried
to remove as much of that as possible that might interfere
with KDE, but so far nothing has helped.

Suggestions...?

Martin Gelfand
Dept of Physics, Colorado State

Post by Jim Hi » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

>The problem...

>User personalizes his desktop (deleting gimp, krpm, and
>other stuff).   Logs out.  Logs back in.  All the desktop
>entries he deleted are now back!

I'm seeing the same problems you are; the new system is Mandrake 6.0
with the "factory installed" KDE.  I have a bunch of stuff sitting
around from the previous setup which was SuSE 6.0 with a hand-built
KDE.

Given that two of us are having problems, anyone with a solution is
requested to post it rather than emailing.

Jim
--

            Death closes all; but something ere the end,
              Some work of noble note, may yet be done,

1. Changing the default kde directory Desktop to .Desktop

Hi,

This may seem like a simple question, but I've not been able to find it
in the documentation or elsewhere in the Internet.

I'd prefer to have the KDE desktop configuration files located under
~/.Desktop and not ~/Desktop. Any ideas how this can be done? Preferably
without recompiling. Is there maybe an environment variable to do so?

Cheers,

Ralph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Tools to Send Arbitrary TCP/IP Packets

3. KDE Default Desktop Icons

4. Ghost partition

5. How to Create Default KDE Desktop for new users

6. Installing 9i on RH7.2

7. How to make KDE my default desktop under X

8. HP815C

9. How to set default Desktop to KDE or GNOME

10. kde as default desktop

11. Removing default desktop icons, KDE/Mandrake 6.0

12. Graceful shutdown from KDE; default login desktop

13. default number of desktops: KDE insists it's 2