init fails

Post by Justin Hibbit » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 21:18:04

Hello,

Tell me how stupid I was, then tell me how to fix this...I installed( almost) glibc-2.2.2, and it failed.  After restoring my original
RH7.0 glibc by relinking them, Init no longer works.  I tried to set init=/bin/bash in my kernel command line, and I can boot to
bash.  But, when I try to run init to switch into rl 1, it says "cannot create /etc/initrunlvl, read only filesystem".  I checked out
The Init docs, and they say init uses the fifo /dev/initctl when communicating on an r-o fs.  Something is messed up here, but,
what is it?  Can anyone help me???

Linux Programmer's Site

init fails

Post by Justin Hibbit » Sun, 04 Mar 2001 01:17:09

Hello,

I found out that init wasn't the problem, I was.  I had changed /bin/sh to point to /sbin/sash, so that I could at least boot the computer
when the system had been messed up.  I fixed that problem, fixed my library problem, and created a new problem.  I cannot log
into my computer.  I somehow messed up my PAM libraries when I was repairing my libraries last night, because, when I went to reboot,
after messsing the libraries up again, it complained "You don't exist, Go away!"  I think that I may have to replace PAM with an upgrade,
because it says, when I log in "PAM_unix: user does not exist" or "UID 0 does not exist" or something like that.  Can anyone help me?

Oh, off the topic, I am thinking of upgrading to Debian, that way it is easier to upgrade my computer and not mess everything up.  Does anyone
know of a site where I can find the iso images?

Thanx,
Justin Hibbits

> >Hello,

> >Tell me how stupid I was, then tell me how to fix this...I installed( almost) glibc-2.2.2, and it failed.  After restoring my original
> >RH7.0 glibc by relinking them, Init no longer works.  I tried to set init=/bin/bash in my kernel command line, and I can boot to
> >bash.  But, when I try to run init to switch into rl 1, it says "cannot create /etc/initrunlvl, read only filesystem".  I checked out
> >The Init docs, and they say init uses the fifo /dev/initctl when communicating on an r-o fs.  Something is messed up here, but,
> >what is it?  Can anyone help me???
> [-]
> Well, start with writing lines less than 10293 characters long and then
> /dev/initctl != /etc/initrunlvl, different story.

> Since /etc resides on / and / is mounted ro you can't write /etc/mtab and
> so use mount -w -n -o remount /

> Mind the -n as when given this switch mount doesn't update /etc/mtab and
> yes, call sync yourself after something has been written.

> Why do you want to call init from the command line though ? You had
> better really understand the whole startup process as while it probably
> isn't going to hose your system you may be confronted with some *
> messages.

> IMHO try to repair it from where you are, read with the shell running
> and nothing else, or at least get the shared libs back. Once there
> you can boot as normal and care for the rest, working in your usual
> environment.

> Cheers,
> Juergen

> --
> \ Real name     : Juergen Heinzl                \       no flames      /

Linux Programmer's Site

1. Help: PCMCIA ethernet card IO init fails

I've got Red Hat 6.0 newly installed.

In my /var/log/messages file, the PCMCIA startup
looks good, including the following message, which
is correct about the card I have:

cardmgr[316]: socket 0: KTI -PE520 Plus Ethernet

However, when it gets to the second insmod call:

cardmgr[316]: executing: 'insmod
/lib/modules/2.2.5-15/pcmcia/pcnet_cs.o'

kernel: pcnet_cs: RequestIO: No more items
cardmgr[316]: get dev info on socket 0 failed: No such device

What's up? the Linux Ethernet HOWTO says pcnet_cs is the right
driver for the KTI.

The card clearly isn't visible, network stop/start fails.

Judy Hawkins

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. recurring problems in filesystem, e2fsck not fixing them

3. init fails, WHY?

4. AA : Zip file

5. INIT: failed write of utmpx entry:"s0"

6. eh? notify_parent with state 0?

7. RH 5.1 boot: modprobe not an ELF file -> eth0 init fails

8. PPP...Dynamic on both ends...

9. System hangs after partition check (init fails?)

10. cannot boot, getting init failed message

11. INIT failed

12. Help: init fails during startup

13. 3c905 init failed