A question of peer to peer, please?

Post by s-co » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

I am running Mandrake 7-0-2, and what I would like to do is have linux show
itself on the network as another peer-to-peer like we are currently doing
with the windoze boxes. We have 95, 98, 98se, and 2000 running that way. I
despise Micro$loth as much as anyone, however it is very nice to use all the
drives as storage as I am currently doing. Does anyone know of a way to do
this? I tried Samba and I will admit I have a LOT!!!! to learn. At least at
this point I can "see" the machine on the lan (Network Neighborhood). I
can't access it yet. When I double click it I get a message box "Enter
network password. Resource:  \\SERVER\IPC$" I wish I understood that
message. I am reading all the online stuff I can find as well as the book
"Using Samba, by Eckstein, Collier-Brown, & Kelly." I am beginning to feel
very inadequate. I call the machines kitchen(win98), counter(win98se),
tech(win2k), and server(linux). When I set up kitchen w/ a login and
password I am unable to "see" the rest of them in Network Neighborhood, even
though ICS(counter) still works. I can use Netscape(server) and browse the
"net". So I know the lan is functioning in and out of server. Maybe what I
want to do can't be done. But that is the problem, I just don't know!
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.