Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16 mystery solved !

Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16 mystery solved !

Post by Arctic Blizzar » Sat, 18 Aug 2001 13:54:50

I have Creative Sound Blaster Vibra 16 sound card (ISA, not PCI), and I
could not get it to work after recompiling the kernel.
RedHat 7.1 default install worked.  When I upgraded the kernel to 2.4.8, I
enabled only the following three options in the Sound section.

Sound card support
OSS sound modules
100 % Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jass16) support

For the life of me, I could not get the sound to work.
When I enabled *every* option in the Sound section, it worked!  Then I
systematically disabled the options and finally solved the mystery.  In
addition to the above three options, I needed to enable this option.

Adlib Cards

The option, "Adlib Cards" has no help, so I couldn't figure out what it is,
but this is what did the trick, and I no longer get the error
"modprobe: Can't locate module synth0" when I issue the sndconfig command.

For something so important, why is there no help text for it?

By the way, I had to enable the four options as "m", not as "y".

I'm posting this information in case there's someone else out there with
similar problems.

--

I've used the "NATO & International Aviation Phonetic Alphabet" in my email
address, so the spammers'll have to work a bit harder.  Interestingly, in

1. Sound Blaster 16 (Vibra 16)

hey guys,

I am new to freebsd, but not new to *nix.  I am trying to get my sound card
working in it and so far I have no success.
The only somewhat success I have gotten is for the kernel to tell me or
complain that it needs Sound Blaster Pro support for my sound card.

I have the following in the kernel for sound,

controller snd0

device sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

I have also tried pcm0 but it wont even compile for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Nicolas

2. <ENTER> acts like ^J

3. Need help on setting up my Sound Blaster Vibra 16..

4. Can 5200's take 15K RPM disk?

5. Creative Vibra 16 Sound chip setup

6. Spontaneous umounts

7. Sound Blaster Vibra 16 PNP problem

8. Print quality of a scan not great- why?

9. Sound Blaster Vibra 16 PNP Problem

10. Need help on setting up my Sound Blaster Vibra 16..

11. what is the right dev definition for a sound blaster 16 vibra?

12. Sound Blaster Vibra 16 PNP problem

13. Sound blaster Vibra 16