WindowMaker-0.51.0-1 Install Problems

Post by James H Timberlake II » Sat, 20 Feb 1999 04:00:00

here goes,
i am running redhat 5.2 with gnome and MOST of windowmaker installed.  i
have the rpm binaries and when i run the main windowmaker rpm it gives
me the error:

failed dependencies:
libungif.so.4 is needed by WindowMaker-0.51.0-1

what rpm is this file distributed in?  i installed the
libungif-3.0-4.rpm off the cd to no avail.  what am i missing?

also i tried installing gICQ (a gtk+ ICQ client).  it says:

failed dependencies:
libgnome.so.0 is needed by gicq-0.22-1-gtk
libgnomeui.so.0 is needed by gicq-0.22-1-gtk
libjpeg.so.6 is needed by gicq-0.22-1-gtk

any help with this is appreciated, i'm tired of the default fvwm95.

thanks,
james

WindowMaker-0.51.0-1 Install Problems

Post by jm » Mon, 22 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> here goes,
> i am running redhat 5.2 with gnome and MOST of windowmaker installed.  i
> have the rpm binaries and when i run the main windowmaker rpm it gives
> me the error:

> failed dependencies:
> libungif.so.4 is needed by WindowMaker-0.51.0-1

> what rpm is this file distributed in?  i installed the
> libungif-3.0-4.rpm off the cd to no avail.  what am i missing?

It wants the latest libungif rpm from redhat-contrib - I have

Quote:> mjollnir% rpm -q libungif

libungif-4.1.0-1

Of course, other packages want the old libungif.so.3,  so after you
install the new libungif, you need to add a link
ln -s /usr/lib/libungif.so.4.1.0 /usr/lib/libungif.so.3

By the way, be careful with the WindowMaker updates.  The capitalized
WindowMaker rpm puts things in completely different places than the
old WindowMaker 0.20 that came with RH 5.2, and also omits all the
pixmaps for your icons that normally are available from the
extra tarball you get from the WindowMaker site.  There is another
windowmaker-0.51 rpm (not capitalized) which puts things more like
RedHat has them, but that one seems to have a broken OPEN_MENU
command which doesn't allow the standard RH wmconfig to generate
a menu of programs.  A workaround is to generate the program listing
by hand using wmconfig, then install that list directly into a
~/GNUStep/Library/WindowMaker/menu file, and set
~/GNUstep/Defaults/WMRootMenu to look at that file.

At least, that's what I had to do.  Good luck.

-jmm

WindowMaker-0.51.0-1 Install Problems

Post by jm » Wed, 24 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> thanks for the info, but where can i get libungif-4.1.0-1?  everywhere
> i look i only find libungif -3.3-4.

Well, it's on redhat-contrib ftp servers everywhere under libc6/i386.
Since it seems pretty difficult to raise redhat.com lately, you might
look at http://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat-contrib/libc6/i386/.  They
seem to have it there, along with the windowmaker (small w) rpms.

Good luck.

-jmm

1. WindowMaker-0.51.0 and Linux 2.2.1

I am not sure if I have done something dump or the problem is related
Linux 2.2.1 or to X.
After upgraded to Linux 2.2.1, every time I exited WindowMaker 0.51.0, I
would get something (sorry can't remember the exact message - it is
running on my home computer) "waiting for X to shut down,  wmker error:
signal 1 (hangup) exiting" and a few seconds later another message
showed up " .. connection to 0:0 broken ..."  I had no such problem with
WM 0.51.0 using kernel 2.0.36.
It does not affect the performance of WM, but it would be great that
someone could point out how I could get rid of the messages. They are a
bit annoying.
System spec: RedHat 5.2, XFree 3.3.3.1 and of course, Kernal 2.2.1 and
WindowMaker 0.51.0 (I didn't encounter any problems compiling WM as most
of RH users would had).

2. Is there a PowerPC port in works?#

3. PLEASE HELP!! WindowMaker .51 Install Problems

4. boot/load from floopy disk

5. is Linux fdisk non-destructive?

6. Problems with remote x sessions and WindowMaker 0.62-1

7. Video drivers and HD controller compatiblity?

8. 2.2.18+ adaptec 29160 (scsi0:-1:-1:-1) Referenced SCB 0 not valid

9. Solaris -1.-1.-1

10. WindowMaker 0.18-1: "Could not find global configurations files"

11. WindowMaker 0.51.0 and RedHat 5.2 Problems

12. Redhat 5.2 Windowmaker .51 LibPropList Problem