Mail and Web server - Any Distributions more secure than others?

Mail and Web server - Any Distributions more secure than others?

Post by Ashley Heat » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Are any Linux distributions more secure than others or better suited for use
and Web and Mail servers?
So far I have looked at Suse and Redhat, but any recommendations welcome.

TIA,
Ash

Mail and Web server - Any Distributions more secure than others?

Post by Martin Herrm » Sun, 02 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Are any Linux distributions more secure than others or better suited for use
> and Web and Mail servers?
> So far I have looked at Suse and Redhat, but any recommendations welcome.

OpenBSD (www.openbsd.org) is not linux, but a BSD version, you will need this
one for security. For speed you will need FreeBSD, for multiple platforms
support you will neet NetBSD. Just read some articles in the thread about
those three from about 4 days ago.

Martin

Quote:

--
Linux Gebruikers Handleiding v1.2 : http://2mypage.cjb.net
Linux RedHat 6.1 Kernel 2.2.14  Toshiba P233 MHz, 32 Mb RAM

Post by Martin Skj?ldebra » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Are any Linux distributions more secure than others or better suited for use
> and Web and Mail servers?
> So far I have looked at Suse and Redhat, but any recommendations welcome.

From my database (soon coming to a web site near you ...)
These distributions market themselves as security concious

Bastille Linux - http://www.bastille-linux.org/
Immunix - http://www.immunix.org/
Kha0s - http://www.kha0s.org/
KRUD - http://www.tummy.com/krud/
nmrcOS - http://www.nmrc.org/nmrcOS/index.html
Trustix - http://www.trustix.com/
CAEN - http://www.engin.umich.edu/caen/systems/Linux/caenlinux/>
Alphanet - http://www.alphanet-linux.com/index2.htm

I use RH 6.1 + Bastille Linux myself.

M.

--
Martin Skj?ldebrand

Sys admin, web designer, tech writer
Hungry? Visit http://www.bahnhof.se/~chimbis/tocb

Mail and Web server - Any Distributions more secure than others?

Post by William Wueppelma » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

In our last episode (Sat, 1 Jul 2000 14:31:19 +0100),
the artist formerly known as Ashley Heath said:

Quote:>Are any Linux distributions more secure than others or better suited for use
>and Web and Mail servers?
>So far I have looked at Suse and Redhat, but any recommendations welcome.

They can all be made about equally secure. Some ship more secure than
others, and most need at least some adjustments. Remember that security has
as much to to with your own activities and practices as it does with the
software itself.

One report for last year put the number of security problems found in Red
Hat Linux at 30, and in Debian Linux at 3. The other distributions came
somewhere between the two.

Debian is pretty good out of the box. It does most of the sensible things
you'd want to do, like install TCP wrappers and asks you if you want to
install shadow passwords.

--
It is pitch black.
You are likely to be spammed by a grue.

Mail and Web server - Any Distributions more secure than others?

Post by David M. Co » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

On Sun, 02 Jul 2000 05:05:50 GMT, William Wueppelmann

>One report for last year put the number of security problems found in Red
>Hat Linux at 30, and in Debian Linux at 3. The other distributions came
>somewhere between the two.

Red Hat probably has a lot more uses, especially a lot more *naive* users,
so this statistic doesn't really say anything about relative security of Red
Hat vs. Debian.

Dave Cook

Post by Alex La » Mon, 03 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> Are any Linux distributions more secure than others or better suited for use
> and Web and Mail servers?
> So far I have looked at Suse and Redhat, but any recommendations welcome.

> TIA,
> Ash

Either FreeBSD or SuSE. (Especially if you want SMP, both have
excellent SMP and hardware supports than most others. And
installation for both are a breeze. A brain-dead, boring
event.)

Alex Lam.

1. Can access to Web server through SmoothWall, but Mail server & others can't ?!

Hi all,

I've install smoothwall(with green & red cards) on one of the machines
in my system and configure the external service access as follow:

TCP   ALL   80   Enabled
TCP   ALL   25   Enabled
TCP   ALL   110  Enabled

and Port forwarding as follow:

TCP   80   192.168.1.5  (static ip address of my web server)    80
Enabled
TCP   25   192.168.1.10 (static ip address of my mail server)   25
Enabled
TCP   110  192.168.1.10 (static ip address of my mail server)   110
Enabled

I get no problem of accessing my web server through the smoothwall,
but I can't reach my mail server. I'm sure my mail server is working
properly if the smoothwall is not in between.

Does anything i miss, or any configurations I set wrong, pls advice.

Kevin

2. Can Linux and FreeBSD coexist on the same hard disk peacefully?

3. How to secure newly installed web-mail-ftp server ?

4. missing packages?

5. Secure transport between mail server and pop client (via another mail server)

6. TCL/TK serial communications?

7. Virtual WEB, Virtual Mail, Secure Server

8. sort -k problem

9. question regarding securing web pages on an internal web server

10. More Windows Web Servers than all others combined

11. How to get others to connect to my web server if my ip addr is dynamic?

12. defense SPAM for Mail server ,Web mail for user ,Help me

13. Linux, sendmail and secure web mail