gcc and MMX

Post by Matthew Denne » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

does anyone know whether there is a version of gcc that will compile
on an MMX machine to produce MMX code?  i have a couple of routines that
would benefit from MMX operations and would like to compile code that
will do this (under Linux, OS/2, WinNT).

gcc and MMX

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> does anyone know whether there is a version of gcc that will compile
> on an MMX machine to produce MMX code?  i have a couple of routines that
> would benefit from MMX operations and would like to compile code that
> will do this (under Linux, OS/2, WinNT).

don't know about gcc, but the latest versions of binutils understand MMX
instructions.

paramount.res.wpi.net RedHat 5.0  Linux 2.0.33    i586   | at public servers
The chat program is in public domain. This is not the GNU public license. If
it breaks then you get to keep both pieces.
(Copyright notice for the chat program)

gcc and MMX

Post by Brian Gers » Thu, 08 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> does anyone know whether there is a version of gcc that will compile
> on an MMX machine to produce MMX code?  i have a couple of routines that
> would benefit from MMX operations and would like to compile code that
> will do this (under Linux, OS/2, WinNT).

GCC currently won't generate MMX instructions, so you will need to use
assembly code if you wish to use MMX.

--

                                                Brian Gerst

This article was posted from <A HREF="http://www.slurp.net/">Slurp Net</A>.

gcc and MMX

Post by John Bep » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>does anyone know whether there is a version of gcc that will compile
>on an MMX machine to produce MMX code?  i have a couple of routines that
>would benefit from MMX operations and would like to compile code that
>will do this (under Linux, OS/2, WinNT).

        You're probably going to have
        to write in assembly to take
        advantage of the MMX instructions.

        If you're up to it, I suggest using
        NASM -- a fine assembler (some say it's the best) for x86.

--

gcc and MMX

Post by Abdelrazak Youne » Fri, 09 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Matthew Denner a crit:

Quote:> does anyone know whether there is a version of gcc that will compile
> on an MMX machine to produce MMX code?  i have a couple of routines that
> would benefit from MMX operations and would like to compile code that
> will do this (under Linux, OS/2, WinNT).

Try egcs-1.0.1 (http://www.cygnus.com/egcs), it is based on gcc.2.8 snapshot
and has optimisation for pentium, pentium-pro and perhaps pentium II (I'm
not sure). Anyway, it's definitly faster than gcc_2.7.2.

Abdel.