Backup with tar and floppy

Post by Shang Xi » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I tried to backup a directory with multi floppy disks:
        tar cvfzM /dev/fd0 eng
but got the message:
        tar: cannot use multi-volume compress archives.
Did I omitted something here? I just followed what they said
in the Installation and Getting started manual.

I used single floppy fine:
        tar cvfz /dev/fd0 samll_file
worked.
By the way, what format the floppy would be after the above
operation?
Thanks for any help.

Backup with tar and floppy

Post by Frank Sweetse » Wed, 06 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I tried to backup a directory with multi floppy disks:
>    tar cvfzM /dev/fd0 eng
> but got the message:
>    tar: cannot use multi-volume compress archives.
> Did I omitted something here? I just followed what they said
> in the Installation and Getting started manual.

tar is saying that it can't use compression when you're using multiple
volume archives.  Try it without compress, like so:

        tar cvfM /dev/fd0 eng

Quote:

> I used single floppy fine:
>    tar cvfz /dev/fd0 samll_file
> worked.
> By the way, what format the floppy would be after the above
> operation?

there is no filesystem on it anymore, just a raw tar archive.  same as if
you did 'cat file.tar > /dev/fd0'

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!