download scheduler

Post by Eri Mendz aka NG_lurke » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 03:43:03

Hello to Linux NG.

Is there something else other than Kppp that can automate my
downloading, e.g. with timer and scheduler, go offline after xx minutes
and things like that? Im searchin for this so i can do my downloads
during midnight and go offline after setting it to a timer mode.

--
"If everything is under control, you are moving too slow." -- Mario
Andretti --

{{{Linux registered user #224119. Stand up and be counted!}}}

download scheduler

Post by josep » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 04:29:15

if you want to dial out when you sleep,
invoke /etc/ppp/ppp-up or what ever script exists from a cron job
then proceed to do all your downloading.
Note that some isp's kick you off after 6 hours..

Quote:> Hello to Linux NG.

> Is there something else other than Kppp that can automate my
> downloading, e.g. with timer and scheduler, go offline after xx minutes
> and things like that? Im searchin for this so i can do my downloads
> during midnight and go offline after setting it to a timer mode.

> --
> "If everything is under control, you are moving too slow." -- Mario
> Andretti --

> {{{Linux registered user #224119. Stand up and be counted!}}}

download scheduler

Post by John Thompso » Fri, 03 Aug 2001 21:13:21

Quote:> Is there something else other than Kppp that can automate my
> downloading, e.g. with timer and scheduler, go offline after xx minutes
> and things like that? Im searchin for this so i can do my downloads
> during midnight and go offline after setting it to a timer mode.

I just use cron to run a script that launches ppp-on, waits a few
seconds for the connection to be made and then fires up wget to
fetch whatever I've put in the script.  When wget terminates, it
runs ppp-off to drop the connection.