Linux Workstations?

Post by James Youngm » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>  I have a gross of 486DX machines I need to sell.  How viable do you
> think it would be to put Linux on them and try to sell them in bulk,
> if I set up the OS on all of the machines and made it as
> ready-to-start as possible?  Do you think there is any demand for
> [relatively] low-cost linux machines already set up?  I know new
> machines are sold with linux on them these days, but what about used
> machines?  They'd be all ready to go, with monitors, hard drives,
> keyboards, mice, printers, etc.  And it'd be important to sell them
> in bulk, otherwise shipping them would make it incredibly
> inefficient and costly.

If you can't sell them, you could always donate them to Project GNU
(or some other cause of your choosing).

--

Linux Workstations?

Post by Olaf Walkowia » Sun, 27 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi Scott,

>  I have a gross of 486DX machines I need to sell.  How viable do you think it
>  would be to put Linux on them and try to sell them in bulk, if I set up the
> OS  on all of the machines and made it as ready-to-start as possible?  Do you

If you set them up ready to use, I think there will
be lots of interest!
Should be worth a try, set it up on one machine and
just copy the setup to the others, shouldn't be too
much work I think (if the hardware is the same)

Worth a try i think

CU
Olaf

ACMEDIA Internet Service   http://www.acmedia.de

Tel.: +49-221-9725090

Linux Workstations?

Post by P. Reic » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Hi Scott,

> >  I have a gross of 486DX machines I need to sell.  How viable do you think it
> >  would be to put Linux on them and try to sell them in bulk, if I set up the
> > OS  on all of the machines and made it as ready-to-start as possible?  Do you

> If you set them up ready to use, I think there will
> be lots of interest!
> Should be worth a try, set it up on one machine and
> just copy the setup to the others, shouldn't be too
> much work I think (if the hardware is the same)

> Worth a try i think

> CU
> Olaf

Why not wire all of them together on an ethernet
and build yourself a Beowulf-class cluster computer.
You ought to be able to blow the doors off just about
anything with something like that.  Check out Redhat's
"Power Tools CD"  (about 30 bucks), and see

   http://www.beowulf.org

Paul Reich                          Motorola, Inc.

"The opinions expressed herein are probably *not*
 those of  The Management.  Any representation to
 the contrary is prohibited....................."

Linux Workstations?

Post by Ed Newto » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> > Hi Scott,

> > >  I have a gross of 486DX machines I need to sell.  How viable do you think it
> > >  would be to put Linux on them and try to sell them in bulk, if I set up the
> > > OS  on all of the machines and made it as ready-to-start as possible?  Do you

> > If you set them up ready to use, I think there will
> > be lots of interest!
> > Should be worth a try, set it up on one machine and
> > just copy the setup to the others, shouldn't be too
> > much work I think (if the hardware is the same)

> > Worth a try i think

> > CU
> > Olaf

> Why not wire all of them together on an ethernet
> and build yourself a Beowulf-class cluster computer.
> You ought to be able to blow the doors off just about
> anything with something like that.  Check out Redhat's
> "Power Tools CD"  (about 30 bucks), and see

>    http://www.beowulf.org

> --
> Paul Reich                          Motorola, Inc.

> "The opinions expressed herein are probably *not*
>  those of  The Management.  Any representation to
>  the contrary is prohibited....................."

Good idea!  My friend has done this and has seen LINEAR performance
increases!

Ed.
** Thriving in a 'no win(doze)' situation... **