Newbie user permission question

Post by tjohn » Fri, 25 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

    I'm not really a newbie, but have kind of a newbie question - I am
running KDE, as a user.  How to set up the permissions so that I can
access the DOS and other "user" partitions, as well as networked NT
drives without opening up a root window each time I want to copy or save
files.

    It's not really clear from the books I have read how to do this - or
I have completely missed it!

Thanks in advance,
Tracy

Post by Marcel Po » Sat, 26 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> Hi all,

>     I'm not really a newbie, but have kind of a newbie question - I am
> running KDE, as a user.  How to set up the permissions so that I can
> access the DOS and other "user" partitions, as well as networked NT
> drives without opening up a root window each time I want to copy or save
> files.

Hi,

In your /etc/fstab you can make a line like this;
/hda3  /dos   vfat   umask=000

With the option umask=000 every user has write access.
You also might want to try umask=022, with which users have got less
permissions.

Marcel Pol

1. User permission to create subdirectories? Newbie question....

Hello:

I'm trying to install Oracle805 for Linux.  I've created a user (oracle) to
"own" the software.  The installer tells me that the oracle user can't
create a subdirectory.  How/where do I change the directory creation
permissions for user oracle?

Thanks and regards,

--
David C. Sisk
http://www.ipass.net/~davesisk/ORACLEonNT.htm

2. tcplistendrop increase

3. User permissions questions--newbie

4. ditto 2G parallel

5. Usernet - User permissions - newbie

6. commodore 64

7. Newbie alert: Setting up users with cgi-bin permissions (linux/apache)

8. 3C905TX telnet connection delayed.

9. ncpfs and mount permission: newbie sysadmin question

10. Question about file permissions - sharing data files between multiple users

11. gnome-ppp, kppp for users? Permission question.

12. Permissions question - set-user-id

13. user permissions question