Netscape and CGI

Post by scabl » Fri, 09 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Does anyone know what I need to do to get CGI
scripts to work w/ Netscape on Red Hat 6.0?
When my browser goes to one of my scripts, it
just prints the entire text of the script file.

Thanks.

Netscape and CGI

Post by Cameron L. Spitz » Sat, 10 Jul 1999 04:00:00

>Does anyone know what I need to do to get CGI
>scripts to work w/ Netscape on Red Hat 6.0?

Common Gateway Interface programs are launched by the Web server.
Do
    ps ax | egrep 'httpd|apache'

If there is a little flock of daemons running there,
Red Hat has installed a Web server for you, otherwise
install Apache and make sure the Apache module mod_cgi is available
and enabled with the correct Handler directive.  Then make sure the script is
in a ScriptAlias directory, or has a filename suffix (such as .cgi)
that's recognized as a script.

As free software goes, Apache is really well documented.  Look at "Server
Documentation" at your nearest mirror of www.apache.org.
If you're serious about learning your way around this stuff,
it would be a good experience to install and configure Apache
from source instead of Red Hat's .rpm file.

Quote:>When my browser goes to one of my scripts, it
>just prints the entire text of the script file.

That will happen with file:/var/www/cgi-bin/yourscript no matter what.
Try http://127.0.0.1/cgi-bin/yourscript and see if Red Hat has set it
up for you already.

Cameron

1. /cgi-bin/phf /cgi-bin/test-cgi /cgi-bin/handler

I've been seeing a number of attacks of this sort recently
from various sites in the http logs.  The time correlation
between the logs on various hosts suggests that the attacker
was scanning sequentially upward in IP addresses.  Since all
tcp and udp packets to ports below 1024 except for http,
smtp, and ident are filtered out for most, including the
attacking, sites, I'm not seeing anything else in the logs.

209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:27 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/phf" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/test-cgi" 404 -
209.61.73.47 - - [04/Jul/1998:07:19:28 -0500] "GET /cgi-bin/handler" 404 -

Is this a signature of some known attackware?  If so, what
other attacks accompany these http probes?

--

2. HELP! with Linux 1.3 and Ftape

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. Help with S3 card needed

5. Netscape Server :error send-cgi reports: cannot execute CGI script /disk6/www/ged/cgi-bin/division.info.pl (permission denied)

6. Linux and Teles-card

7. Problem with executing cgi programs from the Netscape Enterprise Server

8. csh bug on Solaris 8???

9. Netscape, CGI and authorisation (Doesn'y seem to mix)

10. Running Netscape's dbconv CGI script offline

11. serving cgi so netscape works right

12. Netscape Server and .cgi

13. Apache problem with cgi and Netscape browser