Copying a File From LINUX to Windows95

Post by 139ke0000-FontenotM(DR29 » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

What's the easiest way to get a file from linux to
windows-95 (on the same PC)?  I know about FSDEXT2.
Is that the easiest (and best) way?  I read somewhere
that linux can access a dos partition.  Can it then
copy a file to that partition (from a linux partition)?
I really don't care which OS I've got booted up when
I do the transfer.

        Mike Fontenot

Copying a File From LINUX to Windows95

Post by Fredrik Sjohol » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> What's the easiest way to get a file from linux to
> windows-95 (on the same PC)?  I know about FSDEXT2.
> Is that the easiest (and best) way?  I read somewhere
> that linux can access a dos partition.  Can it then
> copy a file to that partition (from a linux partition)?
> I really don't care which OS I've got booted up when
> I do the transfer.

# mkdir /dos# mount /dev/hda1 /dos     (provided your dos partition is
the partition 1 on first IDE drive)
# mount /dev/hdb3 /dos     (would mount the 3rd partition on IDE slave
on /dos)

if you don't get long file names, try
# mount -t vfat /dev...  etc

/fredrik

Copying a File From LINUX to Windows95

Post by TheAirBea » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Mike Fontenot asks:

Quote:>What's the easiest way to get a file from linux to
>windows-95 (on the same PC)?

With regard to mounting a dos partition, I've found
that this is possible in RH5.0 if the dos partition
shows up as type '6'  when using fdisk to view the
partitions.

This works great to transfer files from DOS -> LINUX.

But ...

When going the other way, I note that DOS does not
see the linux files I copy into the mounted DOS partition.

Don't know why yet.

I have however found that by having a dummy file that
was created in DOS located in the mountable dos
partition, that I can get text across from Linux -> Dos
by reading the linux file into the dummy file that was
created while in DOS.

Wierd that I should have to, but that seems the case
and since it works, I'm not griping.    But there just
has to be a better way.

In answer to your question though, IMHO, mounting
being able to copy directly from one OS to the other
is the easiest.    In my example though,  it just takes
some trickery when going from linux to dos.

Have a nice day.

Post by Saadiq Rodgers-Ki » Sun, 08 Mar 1998 04:00:00

>Mike Fontenot asks:

>>What's the easiest way to get a file from linux to
>>windows-95 (on the same PC)?

>With regard to mounting a dos partition, I've found
>that this is possible in RH5.0 if the dos partition
<DETAILS SNIPPED>
>In answer to your question though, IMHO, mounting
>being able to copy directly from one OS to the other
>is the easiest.    In my example though,  it just takes
>some trickery when going from linux to dos.

That seems very wierd.  I'm running RH5 and I ran Slackware before this and I
have never had a problem mounting my windows partition under Linux.  I can
read files from and write files to the windows partition while in Linux.  I
have even tried that fsext2 app in windows to read some Linux stuff from
windows.  Never a problem.  You might have it mounted incorrectly or
something.  I would look into that because mine came up without a hitch.
Another one in the proud tradition of ItWorksForMe(tm).  ;-)  Good luck.

--
Saadiq
-=>take NO_JUNK out of the email address to reply<=-

1. File transfer between Linux and Windows95

I am trying to send a flat ASCII file containing rows and columns,the
columns seperated by commas, of text and numeric data prepared under
Linux to MS Access under Windows95 for further processing as an Access
database.

Would anyone in this group have any ideas on how this may be done?

Please respond by e-mail to the address from which this enquiry
originates.

Many, many thanks,

Kandiah

2. floating exception? -- help!

3. Printing from Windows95 on SCO Merge to a remote Windows95 printer

4. NAT With Redhat 7.2 - Ker 2.4

5. Using Linux file system under Windows95

6. SCSI CD-ROM access stalling

7. File by file copying to CDR under Linux?

8. passwd: Conversation error

9. copy all files in a dir to another renaming them as they are copied

10. I want to not copy exclude one file when i Copy

11. New HDD copy; using "Drive Copy" program (W98) to dupe Linux

12. efficient copy to user and copy from user routines in Linux