problem building kernel with ELF gcc 2.7.0

Post by Jude Charles Giampao » Tue, 11 Jul 1995 04:00:00

> I need some help.  I upgraded my Slackware 1.2.8 to have the
> ELF building gcc 2.7.0 and the related ELF stuff so that I could use
> dynamic loading with perl 5

> Perl is working great.  Now I want to rebuild my kernel, and things
> seem to be broken.  I get a lot of errors toward the end of the build
> process (I think, it takes a while to get to failure).

> If I put in "-bi486-linuxaout"  in the /usr/src/linux/Makefile, I get farther,
> but I die with multiply defined symbols in the end (unix.o and crt0.o).

I've got the same problem here. I hope it's not the result of adding ELF
support at 4:30 in the morning. :)  Any suggestions?

--
Jude Giampaolo              Case Western Reserve University
Electrical Engineering      'There's not much to see actually,

WWW==>    http://prozac.student.cwru.edu/jude/JudeHome.html

Post by Matti Aarn » Wed, 12 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>> I need some help.  I upgraded my Slackware 1.2.8 to have the
>> ELF building gcc 2.7.0 and the related ELF stuff so that I could use
>> dynamic loading with perl 5
>> If I put in "-bi486-linuxaout"  in the /usr/src/linux/Makefile, I get farther,
>> but I die with multiply defined symbols in the end (unix.o and crt0.o).

>I've got the same problem here. I hope it's not the result of adding ELF
>support at 4:30 in the morning. :)  Any suggestions?

        You need to have special patches for kernel ELFication
        to happen.  It was not until version 1.3.8  that all the
        necessary changes are incorporated into the basic source.

        See linux-1.2.8.elf.diff* on the same place where you picked
        the gcc-2.7.0.bin.tar.gz from.

        Alternatively, it may be possible that defining "-b i486-linuxaout"
        (Note a SPACE in there!) helps you, however I have never tried it.

>--
>Jude Giampaolo              Case Western Reserve University
>Electrical Engineering      'There's not much to see actually,
>and Applied Physics         we're inside a Chinese dragon...'

>WWW==>    http://prozac.student.cwru.edu/jude/JudeHome.html

1. problem building kernel with ELF gcc 2.7.0

Hello Friend,

I need some help.  I upgraded my Slackware 1.2.8 to have the
ELF building gcc 2.7.0 and the related ELF stuff so that I could use
dynamic loading with perl 5

Perl is working great.  Now I want to rebuild my kernel, and things
seem to be broken.  I get a lot of errors toward the end of the build
process (I think, it takes a while to get to failure).

If I put in "-bi486-linuxaout"  in the /usr/src/linux/Makefile, I get farther,
but I die with multiply defined symbols in the end (unix.o and crt0.o).

Thanks for any ideas.
--
Chris

2. pppd

3. gcc 4.1.1 build under Intel Solaris 10 does not build gcc

4. Problem with RH 7.2 and Alcatel USB speedtouch modem

5. Problem: Compiling kernel w/ gcc-elf

6. Help, for beginner

7. gcc - ELF problem compiling kernel.

8. SuSe + Hardrive partitioning

9. ELF upgrade problems -- ncurses, gdbm, elf kernel

10. 1.2.13 Kernel Build Problem w/gcc 2.6.3

11. gcc bug causing problem in kernel builds

12. ELF binaries seg fault under built kernels?

13. Can't build Kernel under ELF