Specific Permissinon Control//Access Control List for Linux?

Specific Permissinon Control//Access Control List for Linux?

Post by John Thomps » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

Is there a way that a regular user (non superuser) on Linux can
specifically control which other users can see his files?  For
example, suppose I want a certain friend to be able to read certain
files but not anyone else.

On the (old) HP's at Idaho State this can be done with an Access
Control List, which each file may have.  The draw back is that
consumes a little more diskspace.  Is something like this possible
within Linux?

John Thompson
--
http://www.isu.edu/~thomjohn/

Post by Christopher Hor » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

> Is there a way that a regular user (non superuser) on Linux can
> specifically control which other users can see his files?  For
> example, suppose I want a certain friend to be able to read certain
> files but not anyone else.

> On the (old) HP's at Idaho State this can be done with an Access
> Control List, which each file may have.  The draw back is that
> consumes a little more diskspace.  Is something like this possible
> within Linux?

I recall seeing a message on the Linux Kernel mailing list from Remy
Card that this will probably be added to the ext2 filesystem sometime in
the next month or two. Hopefully it will be standard by the time 2.1.x
is frozen and 2.2 gets released.

Cheers,
Chris

1. ACL (access control list) howto list them?

Is there a way to list files having an ACL in every filesystems?

There are the commands:
    - ls -le         giving a '+' in column 11 if acl is defined
    - aclget      giving '

But, is there an option for command 'find' allowing to search for ACLs in
every fs?

2. Solaris Questions

3. How to do IP access control AND password control

4. DHCP configuration for Solaris 7

5. Access control lists and Linux

6. from 2005-05-26 to 20050525

7. Access Control List in Linux

8. Problems building gcc 2.5.7 on linux

9. Access Control Lists within Linux

10. access control lists for Linux

11. Can I control that a terminal can only be accessed by a specific user?

12. Access-control Lists?

13. Access Control Lists