Red Hat 5.1

Post by Luke 'Space' Elso » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I am running Red HAt 5.0. How can I upgrade to 5.1?

Thanks
Luke 'Space' Elson

Red Hat 5.1

Post by Benjamin Scherr » Mon, 08 Jun 1998 04:00:00

        This seems to be a common technique for distributors (not having a
specific upgrade version). Why don't these companies produce a delta tar file
that contains only the changes from the last version to the new. Would be much
easier to download an upgrade. I just got RedHat 5.0 two weeks ago and now I
find that I have to get all of 5.1 instead of a simple diff. Did more than 50%
of the system change?

        thanx & later,

                Ben Scherrey

>Get the RH5.1 distribution in some medium (CD-ROM, or upgrade via ftp if you
> have
>a ethernet connection), get the boot (and supplemental (not required when
> upgrading
>via CD-ROM afaik)) disks and reboot. (When installing via CD-ROM, I think you
> don't
>even need the boot disk if your system supports booting from CD)
>At some time during the install process, you will
>get a dialogue box where you can choose between upgrade or install, choose
> upgrade.
>That should do it. I myself did a clean install, that is, backed up important
> data files,
>ditched the old install and installed on a shiny, clean HD ;)

1. Red Hat 5.0 vs. Red Hat 5.1

Hello everybody - what a beautiful day it is! Let's not get to funked
up, and get yourself a nice little pink flower to put in a orange vase.
Then grab yourself a slice and sit down and enjoy yourself. It can be
done in lot's of different ways -- just go ahead and do it under the
green sun.

Well... Nevermind.

I'm planning to buy Red Hat 5.1 official to replace my Red Hat 5.0 with.
But before I do that I wonder if there are any disadvantages, hazards or
such with RH 5.1, compared to RH 5.0. Is the installation as safe (don't
forget LILO), and things such as X, sound-support, printers and ppp -
are they still well supported, and not buggy or so?

Thanks in advance,

/Henrik

By the way, don't let the opening of this letter make you think that I'm
not serious enough.

2. What is the maximum SHMMAX on Solaris 2.5.1?

3. Red Hot Red Hat 5.1 Bundles

4. Help! Optics 12X CD-ROM

5. SCSI not found in install - Adaptec 1522B PnP + Red Hat 5.1

6. Machine name change ???

7. Burning a Red Hat 5.1 CD under Windoze

8. RAID File Server (new post)

9. Intalling Red Hat 5.1 with IWill Inition SCSI board

10. Problems with Red Hat 5.1 and AMDK6

11. Help! ftp problem with Red hat 5.1

12. Red Hat 5.1 and Iomega Zip..

13. Apache - Timezone - Red Hat 5.1