Executing Prog when accessing file ?

Post by Ruediger Berli » Thu, 23 May 1996 04:00:00

Dear all,
does anyone know about a way to start the execution of a program,
when a file is accessed ?
E.g., imagine, someone uses 'finger' on my account, so my .plan -file
is being accessed. Is it possible to start up some application,
if that happens ?
I once read something about this in a german Unix-magazine ('iX').
Unfortunately I can't find that anymore.
Thanks for any help.
Bye and have a nice day,
Ruediger Berlich

Post by Norman James Lew » Fri, 24 May 1996 04:00:00

: Dear all,
: does anyone know about a way to start the execution of a program,
: when a file is accessed ?
: E.g., imagine, someone uses 'finger' on my account, so my .plan -file
: is being accessed. Is it possible to start up some application,
: if that happens ?
: I once read something about this in a german Unix-magazine ('iX').
: Unfortunately I can't find that anymore.
: Thanks for any help.
: Bye and have a nice day,
: Ruediger Berlich

:
Try this out. It creates a pipe and waits until it is read from, then
executes whatever you want.

---------------------

#!/bin/csh
mknod ~/.plan p

start:
cat ~/.real_plan > ~/.plan           # this now blocks until plan is read

/bin/prog.to.execute
goto start

1. Any prog for Accessing Linux file sys from dos

From ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/ext2/

ncftp>more ext2tool_1_1.lsm
Begin3
Title:          Ext2 tools
Version:        1.1
Entered-date:   9 January 1996
                read a Linux ext2 file system from DOS.

Primary-site:   login.dknet.dk /pub/ct
                287706 ext2tool_1_1.zip
Alternate-site: sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/ext2
                287706 ext2tool_1_1.zip
Platform:       PC with 386 or better
Copying-policy: GPL
End

If your looking for OS/2 utilities, you can also find it there.

ncftp>more ext2_07b.lsm
Begin3
Title: ext2-os2
Version: 0.7
Entered-date: 27JAN96
   Linux ext2fs Installable File System driver (IFS) for OS/2.
   Makes Linux ext2fs partitions appear as new drive letters that can be
   seamlessly accessed as "normal" OS/2 drives (both read/write). This is
   a port based on the Linux ext2 0.5b kernel code (linux 1.2.1 sources).

Primary-site:   sunsite.unc.edu /pub/Linux/system/Filesystems/ext2
                522177 ext2_07b.zip
Alternate-site: ftp-os2.nmsu.edu /os2/diskutil
                522177 ext2_07b.zip
Platform: OS/2 2.x, OS/2 WARP
Copying-policy: GPL
End

Take care,
-- Nick Kralevich

2. 2.4.4 NIC problems - Realtek 8139 and Xircom Cardbus

3. Any Prog for accessing Linux file sys from Dos

4. Problems building rcs 5.6.0.1 on a Cray YMP runniing UNICOS 8.

5. deny file access in telnet/ftp, but still allow the script to execute?

6. test

7. Under tcsh executes sh prog.....

8. DOSEMU kills my mouse

9. in.telnetd replacement to log in & execute a specific prog?

10. Problem calling ioctl() in a prog when executed with rsh

11. C: execute other progs

12. Executing progs remotely...

13. File Access - Does Owner Access Override Group Access?