mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

mishaps with co-existing OSs (Linux and Dos Partitions)

Post by Wilser Ramir » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

well my friends, i recently have had the worst experience in my
conmputing life (YET!!).
this is how it went:
my mind was tormented cause of this statistics test i had to take that
night. but i didnt study!! (i spend all that time trying to connect my
linux box to the net). i was just about to print the "Mail-HOWTO" on my
old battered Epson lx-810 (doont laugh, please! :o), when the image of me
failing the test miserably struck my mind. but, i continued issuing the
command, the this is that i accidentally typed:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
instead of:
        cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!
any guesses on what happened?
well, 'cat' wrote to the DOS (Win95) partition, but i wrote over the
FAT!!!!!
all my DAMN information on that partition was lost!!!!~ FOREVER!!!!
i had to repartition-reformat.
i just started at the screen ...i wanted to bang my head against it, but
didnt :o)

let that be a lesson for all of yoiu out there:
either:
-study for yer tests with time
-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
-KILL WIN95
-or don use a computer at all!!

anyone with less patience than me would have probably committed suicied!!
:o) (j/k)

if anyone has any comments, similar mishaps or simply wants to insult me,
feel free to email me at:

Wilser Ramirez NG

Post by bonni mierzejews » Sun, 23 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>if anyone has any comments, similar mishaps or simply wants to insult me,
>feel free to email me at:

I have a Slackware 3.0 installation.  I was installing something - I can't
remember what - from the _a_ series (something I'd skipped over when I
installed), using pkgtool.  I accidentally pressed <enter> twice.

Before I knew it, it was installing aaa_base over my active Linux
filesystem.  I hit ctrl-c, but it was too late.  Linux couldn't find
itself.  I lost every bit of data on my Linux partition, including about
20 meg of stuff I'd downloaded from various ftp sites.

**sigh**

Gotta be careful with those twitchy trigger fingers....  :O)

bonni
coming soon - 1996 IF Competition entry
C++ Turbo Vision archive: http://brooks.wvn.wvnet.edu/tvhome
__   __
IC | XC  |   bonni mierzejewska "The Lone Quilter"

NI | KA  | Kelly's Creek Homestead, Maidsville, WV

Post by David Efflan » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>well my friends, i recently have had the worst experience in my
>conmputing life (YET!!).

>i accidentally typed:
>    cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
>instead of:
>    cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!
>any guesses on what happened?
>well, 'cat' wrote to the DOS (Win95) partition, but i wrote over the
>FAT!!!!!

>if anyone has any comments, similar mishaps or simply wants to insult me,
>feel free to email me at:

>Wilser Ramirez NG

It doesn't take mixed file systems to wipe out a drive.  I was wishing
I could check out Win95, but had only 20M free on a 528M drive.  I was
trying an audio recording program (WHAM was the name) that seemed to
be "allocating memory" (thrashing my hard drive) forever.  I hit the
reset button at the wrong time and suddenly "No boot sector".
Actually it was no fault of the program.  I later tried doing the same
thing, but turning off the computer instead with no ill effects.

Fortunately I had DOS and an old Win setup on my D: drive.  It did
free up enough space to install Win95 and prompted me to get a new
tape drive.

It wasn't until I couldn't figure out how to transfer Win95 to a 1.6G
drive that I found out that Win95 setup also runs from DOS.  That got
rid of rusty dll's that are no longer used.

Now that I have an EideMAX card to upgrade my bios to LBA, that former
528M drive is a 540M mule for playing with ELF conversion.  Which is a
good thing, because without another drive to compile a new kernel with
ELF support my Linux would have been crippled by 'ld.so.1.7.14'.

David Efflandt/Elgin, IL USA

Post by Harrison Berger » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

 >well my friends, i recently have had the worst experience in my
 >conmputing life (YET!!).
 >this is how it went:
 >my mind was tormented cause of this statistics test i had to take that
 >night. but i didnt study!! (i spend all that time trying to connect my
 >linux box to the net). i was just about to print the "Mail-HOWTO" on my
 >old battered Epson lx-810 (doont laugh, please! :o), when the image of me
 >failing the test miserably struck my mind. but, i continued issuing the
 >command, the this is that i accidentally typed:
 >   cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
 >instead of:
 >   cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!
 >any guesses on what happened?
 >well, 'cat' wrote to the DOS (Win95) partition, but i wrote over the
 >FAT!!!!!
 >all my DAMN information on that partition was lost!!!!~ FOREVER!!!!
 >i had to repartition-reformat.
 >i just started at the screen ...i wanted to bang my head against it, but
 >didnt :o)
 >
 >let that be a lesson for all of yoiu out there:
 >either:
 >-study for yer tests with time
 >-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
 >-KILL WIN95
 >-or don use a computer at all!!

        A better solution would be not to do such things while
        running as root. The device files /dev/hd?? should have
        protections 660 so that you can't write to them as a
        normal user.

--

    Steinberger:
State of the Instrument

Post by Michael Fu » Mon, 24 Jun 1996 04:00:00

>-study for yer tests with time
>-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
>-KILL WIN95
>-or don use a computer at all!!

-Don't login as root all the time. :) :) (not that I'm one to talk...)

  Hope you've recovered,
    Mike

Post by Robert Woodco » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

> >       cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/hd1
> >instead of:
> >       cat Mail-HOWTO > /dev/lp2 !!!!!!!!!!

> >let that be a lesson for all of yoiu out there:
> >either:
> >-study for yer tests with time
> >-dont have 2 OSses coexisting
> >-KILL WIN95
> >-or don use a computer at all!!
>    A better solution would be not to do such things while
>    running as root. The device files /dev/hd?? should have
>    protections 660 so that you can't write to them as a
>    normal user.

Once more, for those who didn't catch that: DONT!!! run as root.
root is a *bad* idea for normal operations. The lament you saw above
is testament. Besides, the guy could have just typed lpr Mail-HOWTO,
and it would have went through the printer daemon. Much more
flexible. And much safer.
--

Confidence is the feeling you have before you understand the
situation.

1. Co-existing Linux & Win95

Hi,

I have 2 hd. One with RH5.0 and the other with win95. I am presently doing
hd swapping to go into each OS. Is it possible for both the hd to co-exist,
using the Linux hd as primary and boot into win95 or vice vesa? If it is
possible, can anyone shown me how?

Thanks

2. celeron vs. AMD

3. MFM and IDE co-existing under Linux?

4. Low Mem 4mb Ram Install as well as No CD-ROM

5. Linux and Win2K Server Co-existing

6. network card failed to detect

7. Linux/SCO/WinNT/DOS co-exist?

8. Using Pine, Fetchmail, and Postfix with a POP3 and SMTP account at an ISP

9. Linux & HP DNS Co-existing

10. cron and tar not co-existing

11. SCSI and IDE co-existing

12. x86 Solaris / NT co-existing