Installing linux with 95 and win3.1

Post by Jim Valavani » Wed, 03 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> : Installing linux with Window 95

> : Can someone please tell me how to install linux with windows 95

> : Please email me.

> For my particulear set up on my 1.08G drive, I've broken down the
> partitions into two segments:

>         Partition 1 is a DOS (used FDISK to create) that is 400 megs in
>         size, decided to give win95 a decent sized partition.

>         Partition 2 is the first linux partition, which I set to start
>         just after the DOS partition to the 1000th cylinder.  Had to
>         stop it at this point so that lilo can boot linux.

>         Then I set up a third partition that ran all the way to the end
>         of the hard drive (cylinder 2100).  On this partition I have
>         /usr mounted.  Works great for me.

> It would probably be a good idea to install win95 before installing
> linux, as that is how I have installed it in the past and haven't had any
> problems.  Then just install linux normally (remembering /usr is mounted
> on /dev/hda3), and install lilo MBR.  This set up has allowed me to boot
> either linux or win95 without a hitch.

I wanted to know in addition to 95 can you also have another dos
partition to install win3.1?

My guess would be know but maybe there is a way to do it with separate
drives??

This guy wants me to set this up for him and I told him it probably
cannot be done but anyone out there have any input??

Thanks.

--
---------------------------|-------------------------------|

Kessler/Asher Group at     |    phone (312)786-4779        |
the CBOE                   |    fax (312)786-4776          |
-----------------------------------------------------------|

Post by Richard L. Byr » Sun, 07 Jan 1996 04:00:00

> I wanted to know in addition to 95 can you also have another dos
> partition to install win3.1?

> My guess would be know but maybe there is a way to do it with separate
> drives??

> This guy wants me to set this up for him and I told him it probably
> cannot be done but anyone out there have any input??

Sure, you can have as many partitions as makes you happy, and use lilo (from Linux) to boot
whichever one you want.

My question is, if you are running '95, why would you want 3.1x _too?_

Network Administrator
U of AL School o' Music             Hey you kids! Don't put yer lips on that!