how to undelete files on ext2

Post by Alex Fitterlin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hello.

since I unfortunately deleted my /etc/X11 (I just couldn't remember
anymore, that I replaced it recently with a link, instead of keeping
its whole contents in a separate dir) I felt like a fool...

unfortunately I catched my self of beeing unable to undelete these
files, too... :) because of the fact, I got know clue how to do
that... In Midnight Commander I found some hints... but not as clear
as I was thinking it has to be stated to me...

Can someone of you give me a short introduction  (or a link to a recent
web-document) how to undelete files correctly ?

Especially I want to know if it is possible to restore deleted files
exactly to the original state.. with name, etc. (?)

Thank you in advance.
Alex

Post by Wolfgang Den » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Can someone of you give me a short introduction  (or a link to a recent
>web-document) how to undelete files correctly ?
>Especially I want to know if it is possible to restore deleted files
>exactly to the original state.. with name, etc. (?)

Of course this is possible. Just restore from your latest backup tape.

Wolfgang Denk

--
Software Engineering:  Embedded and Realtime Systems,  Embedded Linux
Phone: (+49)-8142-4596-87  Fax: (+49)-8142-4596-88   Web: www.denx.de

how to undelete files on ext2

Post by Julian Gome » Mon, 11 Dec 2000 22:41:07

Alex,

Undeletion is possible, but at the moment, I think the only tool which can
be used to do it is in Dan Farmer and Wietse Venema's TCL suit. I haven't
tried it out yet. You can do it manually, you will have to open the
filesystem
for write permissions, go through the list of deleted inodes and retrieve
the
inodes you are looking for.

Depending on how long its been deleted and such, you might not be able to
retrieve it because ext2 has the habit of trying to reuse the same old inode
numbers whenever it has the chance, at least it did the last time I fiddled
with
undeletion 2.0 kernel. If you've installed the full HOWTOs and such, try
looking
in /usr/doc/HOWTO/mini/ or thereabouts, I think there is a document called
Undeletion-Ext2 or something to that effect.

Quote:> Hello.

Post by Eric » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 17:06:55

> Hello.

> since I unfortunately deleted my /etc/X11 (I just couldn't remember
> anymore, that I replaced it recently with a link, instead of keeping
> its whole contents in a separate dir) I felt like a fool...

> unfortunately I catched my self of beeing unable to undelete these
> files, too... :) because of the fact, I got know clue how to do
> that... In Midnight Commander I found some hints... but not as clear
> as I was thinking it has to be stated to me...

> Can someone of you give me a short introduction  (or a link to a recent
> web-document) how to undelete files correctly ?

> Especially I want to know if it is possible to restore deleted files
> exactly to the original state.. with name, etc. (?)

As this is pretty standard stuff usually, you're probably better of
reinstalling the X related stuff.
Otherwise there's `mc` which eases up the undeletion process
significantly.

PS. don't ever rely on such tools. Use your brains, so you won't need
them.

Eric

1. Need info on ext2/undeleting files

Hi,
        I need to recover some files on an ext2 system that I accidentally
deleted (in the process of moving linux from one HD to another - I HATE
the stupid BIOS and MSDOS - spent a whole weekend and it fsck'ed up both
my HD's  *ARGH*  anyway...), there has not been any other (much 8-))
disk access on that HD, and it's currently isolated away.  I remember
reading somewhere once on the procedure to undelete/recover files on
the unix filesystem, but people on c.o.l.misc can't seem to help, so
I'm hoping this group might be able to.
        I know I'll have to do some low level stuff, any pointers, etc
towards documentation on ext2/unix filesystems in general would be
greatly appreciated [I used to play with tracks/sectors directly on
the Apple II DOS/Prodos system, so I'm a little familiar with the whole
concept (D5 AA 96 anyone? 8-)).
        Thank you very much for your kind help/assistance/pointers.

-Tai

2. A WABI/MSmail question

3. Undelete/Rebuild files in Linux ext2 filesystem

4. adb

5. undeleting many big files in ext2 filesystems: any way to automate ?

6. shutdown question

7. Seriously useful stuff -- ext2 undeleting, data hiding

8. Iptables and itnernal mail server -> Help

9. ext2 undelete

10. Support for undelete in libc+ext2

11. ext2 undelete tools

12. ext2 undelete

13. EXT2 TOOLS: Read ext2 files from DOS