IBM 486SLC2 Motherboards

Post by Dennis Heltz » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 04:54:38

:    Has anybody used these with Linux?  Are they fast? Compatibility
: problems?  The price is muy attractive....

I've been using a Leopard (made by IBM) m/b with a 486SLC-66 to run Linux
for several months now. It is fast. The only problems I have seem to be
the cache related errors mentioned often on USEnet. For example, while
compiling C++ code with g++, sometimes I get an internal compiler error.
When I rerun the compile (without any source changes) it works fine. If I
get frustrated, I poke the turbo button and run at 8Mz. This eliminates
the problem, but drastically increases compile time.

IBM 486SLC2 Motherboards

Post by Jerome Kaid » Sat, 16 Jul 1994 03:25:27

   Has anybody used these with Linux?  Are they fast? Compatibility
problems?  The price is muy attractive....

         Thanks!

IBM 486SLC2 Motherboards

Post by Mark Lo » Sun, 17 Jul 1994 00:29:44

>I've been using a Leopard (made by IBM) m/b with a 486SLC-66 to run Linux
>for several months now. It is fast. The only problems I have seem to be
>the cache related errors mentioned often on USEnet. For example, while
>compiling C++ code with g++, sometimes I get an internal compiler error.
>When I rerun the compile (without any source changes) it works fine. If I

I was one person who reported such problems, with an AMD486DX266 system.
After having the dealer replace the external cache chips, the problems
went away.  The new chips were the same size/speed as the old ones, but are
probably less marginal in timing.

--

1. IBM 486SLC2-66 Motherboards supported?

Also, I've read in some other post that the IBM 486SLC2-66
motherboards are slow due to its 16bit bus interface when used
with a 32bit OS (such as Linux); true?

One more question: Is a 128k cache for the IBM motherboard
necessary with 16MB RAM installed?

Thank's
-Andrej

2. Adaptec PCI 2940

3. 486slc2/66 MotherBoard

4. SunOS server perfomance -- TCB starvation

5. IBM PS/2 486SLC2 and Linux

6. Sun Xterms

7. Linux on an IBM 486slc2-66

8. Centauri Alpha Boxes

9. Linux on IBM motherboard w/IBM Blue Lightning

10. RH 5.1 on PS/2 53 486SLC2?

11. 486SLC2 66 MHz

12. Installing Linux on an IMB PS/2 56 486SLC2

13. BusLogic BT445 DMA error - Beware the Blue Lightning/486SLC2 and 32 bit busses