mastering CDROM's from a Novell volume

Post by John Ridl » Fri, 23 Apr 1999 04:00:00

OK, I've convinced my company to give Linux a go for one more task
(I'm slowly working Linux into all the corners of our operation) -
I've told them that I can set up a single machine that can master 2 or
3 discs at once.  I've got it set up and that part of it is working OK
(yes, I've applied the sg malloc patch).

The problem I'm having is with mkisofs - our CD staging area is on a
Novell server, and mkisofs doesn't like it.  I type something like:

mkisofs -o something.iso /novell/server/cdimage/

and it just dumps immediately and tells me:
Directory loop - fatal goof (./dirname 5 24134164)

I've looked at the source and determined that it's using the INODE of
the directory to create a hash; I guess it's trying to build a quick
way to detect loops without having to unroll all the symlinks, etc.
The problem is that I don't think that a Novell server has Inodes, at
least not that are visible to the Linux box.  Maybe it just reports
one INODE for everything?  I don't know.

For now, I'm copying the entire directory over to a local area, then
doing mkisofs on that.  It works, but I don't like it.

This is a great opportunity for me to demonstrate something really
cool and important to the company, that NT just can't do (that I know
of) and Linux doesn't have any trouble with.

Any suggestions, anyone?  I'll try to check here in the newsgroup for
answers, but I'd appreciate an email copy.  Thanks.

1. Can't create files on mounted Novell-Volumes

Hello all.

I have some problems with ncpmount under SuSE 9.0 to an Novell 4.11 server
running NDS.
The goal is to re-export the mounted Novell-Volumes via Samba to Windows clients.
To test the whole thing i wanted to take it simple an just create / change files from
the shell. But there the problem begins...

I can mount the volumes successfully, but when i try to create a new file as a
"normal" user it says permission denied. As root it works without any problem.

I created the mountpoint the following way:
     su smbnovell
     md /daten/server1
     chmod 777 /daten/server1

This results in the following directory structure:
     drwxrwxrwx  root     root    ./
     drwxrwxrwx  root     root    ../
     drwxrwxrwx  smbnovell  users  server1/

After this i can mount the Novell-Volumes with the following command:
     ncpmount -S Server1 -U valid.user.context -P xxx -u smbnovell \
       -g users -f 777 -d 777 /daten/server1

The volumes get mounted and i can change into the subdirectories, see files,
open them, change and save them.
But when i try to create a new file it says "Permission denied".
As an example i try to create a file in "/daten/server1/disk2/Allgemein".
I do an "cd /daten/server1/disk2/Allgemein" and then "cp test.txt test1.txt"

Result: "Permission denied".

The permissions for the file / directory are as follows:
     drwxrwxrwx  smbnovell  users  ./
     drwxrwxrwx  smbnovell  users  ../
     -rwxrwxrwx  smbnovell  users  test1.txt

Anyone experienced this earlier? I tried to solve this problem for the last
3 days, but now i'm helpless.
Since root can create files, i think the problem is within the linux
permissions, but i since i'm new to linux, i can't find where is the problem.

Every help is very appreciated.

TiA,

Karsten

2. IBM Token Ring skeleton driver available

3. Error while cp'ing files from mounted Novell volumes

4. Lock removal form a dead process

5. Can't mount Novell volume using NCPFS

6. CASE Tools for Linux?

7. Can't mount Novell NetWare 6 volumes from Linux - help please!

8. FreeBSD Slow /bin/ls with FtpExplorer

9. Can't Mount Novell Volume using NCPFS

10. Veritas Volume Manager: Volume doesn't create "rdsk" entry

11. ALSA master volume ignored!?

12. Solaris Volume Manage Master Replica Database

13. Have OpenBSD possibility to mount Novell volumes?