Linux PPP connection with WinNT PPP server?

Linux PPP connection with WinNT PPP server?

Post by kqtra » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

Hello everyone,

I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me feedback on how to
connect a Linux box using PPP to a WinNT box which runs RAS(acts as a PPP
server).  Has anyone gotten this successfully working?  Thanks in advance.

-kt

Post by Al Longye » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

>I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me feedback on how to
>connect a Linux box using PPP to a WinNT box which runs RAS(acts as a PPP
>server).

1. get ppp-2.1.2c.tar.gz from sunsite.unc.edu.

2. Set Windows NT to use 'accept any authentication including clear text'
   and don't set 'require encrypted authentication'.

3. Configure Linux to use UPAP. Instructions are in the man page. Use the
   account name and password for the Windows NT domain as the values for
   the UPAP data.

--

Linux PPP connection with WinNT PPP server?

Post by Kevin Mil » Sat, 06 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>Hello everyone,

>I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me feedback on how to
>connect a Linux box using PPP to a WinNT box which runs RAS(acts as a
PPP
>server).  Has anyone gotten this successfully working?  Thanks in
advance.

>-kt

No, I haven't!  I've posted a similar question in some of the NT groups
and the responses I get all say that you have to be a RAS client to dial
into NT.  I'm sure there is some way to send the correct authentication
sequence to the NT RAS machine, but I sure don't know what it is.

On the Internet, nobody knows you're running Linux

Post by Scott J. Bert » Mon, 08 May 1995 04:00:00

: >I would really appreciate it if anyone could give me feedback on how to
: >connect a Linux box using PPP to a WinNT box which runs RAS(acts as a PPP
: >server).

: 1. get ppp-2.1.2c.tar.gz from sunsite.unc.edu.

: 2. Set Windows NT to use 'accept any authentication including clear text'
:    and don't set 'require encrypted authentication'.

: 3. Configure Linux to use UPAP. Instructions are in the man page. Use the
:    account name and password for the Windows NT domain as the values for
:    the UPAP data.

You also need to delete a the SPAP key from the registry in the NT
machine.  I don't remember exactly what it is, but it is something like
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\SPAP.

If you have any problems setting this up, feel free to contact me.
I finally got it working after months of trying myself.

--
Scott J. Bertin        |   Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.

Linux PPP connection with WinNT PPP server?

Post by Kevin Mil » Tue, 09 May 1995 04:00:00

Quote:

>You also need to delete a the SPAP key from the registry in the NT
>machine.  I don't remember exactly what it is, but it is something like
>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\SPAP.

>If you have any problems setting this up, feel free to contact me.
>I finally got it working after months of trying myself.

I'd love to hear more... I've been bashing my head against the wall for
weeks trying to get it to work.  I'll send you some email, too.

On the Internet, nobody knows you're running Linux

1. LINUX<(nullmodem)>Mac PPP connection; LINUX as PPP-server

Hi!

We are trying to run PPP thru a NULL-MODEM connection between
  -PC running LINUX (running kernel ver. 2.0.0, PPP ver. 2.2.0)
    and a
  -Macintosh running FreePPP ver. 2.5 and apple TCP/IP 1.1

Of course, we want LINUX to be the PPP-server and the Mac to be
the client.

This is how far we get:

LINUX:
   as root, we run:

   /usr/sbin/pppd -detach modem crtscts lock :192.1.2.23 /dev/ttyS1
57600

MAC:
   In the terminal window FreePPP recognises the ppp-startup string
   sent by linux. The local IP is also set.
   Anyway, all seems to go well. FreePPP says:
      -establishing communicatiom
      -succesful
      -established communication
      -(short time passes)
      -link dead
      -connection was established but it is not a reliable connection
and
       was terminated.

meanwhile at LINUX:
/var/adm/messages reads:
Sep 29 17:18:34 zorn pppd[147]: pppd 2.2.0 started by root, uid 0
Sep 29 17:18:58 zorn pppd[147]: Serial connection established.
Sep 29 17:18:59 zorn pppd[147]: Using interface ppp0
Sep 29 17:18:59 zorn pppd[147]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
Sep 29 17:19:01 zorn pppd[147]: local  IP address 194.109.45.55
Sep 29 17:19:01 zorn pppd[147]: remote IP address 194.109.6.110

We have the feeling we are quite close to succes... :-}
Can anybody help us out?

Thanks in advance!

Maarten and David

2. Enable Java on Apache servers

3. PPP connection via mac or win modem dialup to dedicated Linux ppp server

4. CRAMDISK: compressed image too long??? [thinkpad 370c]

5. PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and PPP and HEADACHE

6. .profile does not source when su

7. Problem getting direct serial PPP connection from WinNT to Linux

8. "linux inside" stickers?

9. ppp connection between linux and winnt

10. Ask ppp-on and ppp-on-dialer for ppp connection

11. Dial up server (PPP) / accepting PPP connections..

12. RH5.1 PPP connection: PPP connection persists, telnet session times out

13. Linux, PPP and PPP Connection