Linux on a Thinkpad 720 - 160MB disk, How?

Linux on a Thinkpad 720 - 160MB disk, How?

Post by Philip Papadopoul » Sat, 08 Oct 1994 01:36:25

Has anybody put Linux on Thinkpad 720? W/ 160MB disk?

I tried a slackware-compatible bootdisk from peipa.cs.uk (something
like that) that would automagically detect the disk paramters.
It came back with 64 heads, and then proceeded to croak that
the head count was > 16.

Running PCTOOLS on this disk gives the following geometry
    head=64, cylinders=161, sectors/cyl = 32

With 512 bytes/sector that gives me 168,820,7xx bytes.

THis is an ESDI disk. If it was IDE with proper sector translation,
I could divide the heads by four and multiply the cylinders by
4 to get the same storage, but that doesn't work.

Any good ideas out there? Anybody done this?

Thanks,
Phil

1. boot/root disks not finding hard drive on Thinkpad 720

Hi,
I am trying to install Linux on a Thinkpad 720,
which is an old 486SL2 based laptop. When I boot
up with bare.i and color.gz, the system fails
to find a hard drive and none show up in /etc.
I tried mknod but I don't know the major/minor
numbers. Can anyone assist?
Thanks

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. tcsh help

3. IBM ThinkPad 720 Disk Geometry Problem

4. reduce stack usage in arch/sh/kernel/pci-sh7751

5. linux on Thinkpad 720

6. Still looking for sources/patches to GNU Emacs and TeX

7. ThinkPad 720 IBM Harddisk information?

8. Announcement: Phrack Magazine, issue 51

9. IBM ThinkPad 720?

10. mtools & 720 kb disks

11. SCSI utilities and IBM 160MB internal disk ?

12. Brother HL-720 and Linux?

13. IBM 720/750 Laptops and Linux?