tsx-11 GCC binaries error?

Post by Craig A. Lemo » Thu, 02 Oct 1997 04:00:00

        I'm wondering if there was not some sort of error made
when the gcc binary distributions at tsx-11 were built...  I'll
admit I haven't had a chance to give glibc adequate attention.
There are supposedly two binary distributions : gcc and gcc-glibc.
I would have expected the gcc binary to contain gcc binaries which run
with glibc and compile libc5 ELF binaries.  I would expect the
gcc-glibc tar to contain a gcc designed for glibc in some way, maybe
the executables require glibc and/or is capable of building glibc
binaries.

        What I found was that the gcc-glibc binary tar contained
/usr/lib/i586-unknown-linux and binaries that run with libc5 only.
The gcc binary tar (non-glibc) contained /usr/lib/i586-unknown-linux-glibc1
and binaries that cannot be executed by my libc5/ld.so 1.8.x system.
Am I messed up or is something backwards here?  I believe I had to
install both tar to get things behaving, being careful to install the
libc5 binary last.

        I also noticed that it's glibc1, not glibc2.  Am I wasting
my time with this completely?  Is there another gcc distribution (binary)
out there that I can trust to be squeaky clean for libc5 systems?
(2.7.2.3)

        Thanks for your time.

--
 Craig A. Lemon    VE3XCL       | University of Waterloo

   http://www.net/~calemon/        |     Class of 1997

1. Gcc 2.4.0 binaries are on tsx-11.

Please be aware that the there is at least one significant bug in GCC 2.4.0's
optimizer.  It is not possible to successfully build XFree86 with 2.4.0 (the
compiler dies with an internal error).  I do not know exactly what causes
this bug.  I sent in a report on this yesterday, and have a proposed fix for
it from Richard Stallman waiting in my mailbox for me to try when I get
home.

Unless you have a specific need for 2.4.0, it may be best to wait for 2.4.1,
which is supposed to be "real soon", whatever that means.

--

AT&T Bell Laboratories, 200 Laurel Ave - 3F-428, Middletown, NJ  07748

"How many times must good men die?  How many tears will the children cry,
 'til we suffer no more sadness?  Oh, stop the madness.  Stop all the madness."
        -- Molly Hatchet, Fall Of The Peacemakers.

2. /usr/bin/uptime has no key field.

3. gcc2.1 and gnulib?

4. Xearth binaries uploaded to sunsite and tsx-11.

5. computing costs

6. XConquer 5.5.1a binaries uploaded to sunsite and tsx-11

7. Shell script invoking other shell scripts

8. smail 3.1.28 with TCP/IP support - binaries on sunsite/tsx-11/nic

9. xrn binary from tsx-11: no scroll bars?

10. gwm 1.7o (beta 3) binaries uploaded to tsx-11

11. Problem with elvis binaries from tsx-11

12. Upload of XV 3.00 binaries (with TIFF support) to tsx-11, nic.funet.fi