Printing to lp printer through a file?

Post by Scott Smit » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

We have a software program that is set up to print to tty printers, the
screen, or a file.  I want to use my JetDirect lp printer.  I have set
the printer up and it works great from the Linux command line.  Anyone
know of a way I could get my program to use the JetDirect printer?  I
thought about printing to a file, then having the user print the file
using the lp command, but that is an additional step.  Is there a way to
setup a tty port that would actually forward to the lp printer, or a way
to print automatically to the lp printer when the user prints to a
certain file?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Scott Smith

Printing to lp printer through a file?

Post by Thomas Homme » Thu, 01 Jun 2000 04:00:00

A quite simple solution would be this:
Set up a spool directory to print to (e.g. /var/spool/printer)
Write a small script to check for files in the spooldir and to print
them via lpr and afterwards delete them
Execute this script every minute via cron

Tom

--
-------------------------
Thomas Hommel

1. How to print a ps file to a non-ps printer thru gs241?

Hi *,

In the UNIX env, how shall I do to set up a non-ps printer to
print ps file thru ghostscript?  I have a HP III sits besides
me.  Since I don't have a printer driver and postscript cartdidge
for this HP III, I couldn't use it.  Recently, I compiled gs 2.4.1
with x11.dev and ljet3.dev.  I wish to know if there is a way
to print ps file to this printer.  Thanks!

  --Eric
--
***************************************---       Grad. student          ---*
* Obviousness is always the enemy of  *   \     Jui-Lin Lu (Eric)      /   *

***************************************---   Univ. of Missouri-Rolla    ---*

2. Fallback mode?

3. 1 * THKRJICLD-lp printing: Submitting ps file to network printers

4. MODE CON equivalent in Linux?

5. lp printing: Submitting ps file to network printers

6. hostname

7. HP network printer and LP print Service local printing

8. Mouse Probs

9. Printing bar codes thru unix lp filter

10. accessing printer thru print server

11. How to do Printing Acct. w/ Remote Printers thru gator/shiva boxes?

12. Printing to a SVR4 printer (lp not lpr!)

13. lp printing to remote printer problem