Linux RAID Reliability?

Post by sign.. » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

Ok, I'm sorry if this is a FAQ, but I don't have a lot of time
for research on this one...

I am a network administrator in a coporate environment and our
department's linux enthusiast.  I like linux and use it for everything
I can.  However, I was just tasked with setting up a 30Gb+ file server
and I really need reliable/cheap solutions.  I plan on setting up a
new Dell workstation with 2 15Gb IDE drives and then using the kernel's
md driver to make one 30Gb volume.  This volume will be then shared
over the network via Samba and/or NFS.  The installation *could* be
based on any of the standard Linux distributions, but I have a personal
preference for SuSE 6.1.

Could some of you with experience with this sort of configuration
give me some pointers about reliability of this kind of setup.  Also,
what size of memory would you recommend for this type of
configuration -- is 128Mb enough(this machine will be feeding 6
clients at 100Mb/s at first and may scale upward to 50 or so as
time goes on).  Any potential pitfalls you can point out would also
be helpful.  Thanks.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

Linux RAID Reliability?

Post by Rod Roar » Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>I am a network administrator in a coporate environment and our
>department's linux enthusiast.  I like linux and use it for everything
>I can.  However, I was just tasked with setting up a 30Gb+ file server
>and I really need reliable/cheap solutions.  I plan on setting up a
>new Dell workstation with 2 15Gb IDE drives and then using the kernel's
>md driver to make one 30Gb volume.  This volume will be then shared...

Just curious... why do you want to do that?  I expect your main
problem will be backing it up, especially since your filesystem will
be hosed if either drive fails.  What's your plan for backups?

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Linux RAID Reliability?

Post by sign.. » Fri, 18 Jun 1999 04:00:00

> >I am a network administrator in a coporate environment and our
> >department's linux enthusiast.  I like linux and use it for
everything
> >I can.  However, I was just tasked with setting up a 30Gb+ file
server
> >and I really need reliable/cheap solutions.  I plan on setting up a
> >new Dell workstation with 2 15Gb IDE drives and then using the
kernel's
> >md driver to make one 30Gb volume.  This volume will be then
shared...

> Just curious... why do you want to do that?  I expect your main
> problem will be backing it up, especially since your filesystem will
> be hosed if either drive fails.  What's your plan for backups?

> -- Rod
> Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
> http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Backups will not be a problem for this -- most of the data is coming
initially from cdroms and is not read/write.  It's more flexible
for us to make one huge volume available rather than a jukebox of
cd readers since we can selectively use any left over space for
read/write *if* it's needed.  Next year when we submit the new
budget proposal, a DLT or AIT tape drive will be in the works(I
didn't put it in this year because we weren't supposed to need it
yet, but then management decided to go in a different direction
on me... oh well).

One respondent made a suggestion to go with SCSI for the drives, and
for the long term, I have to agree that SCSI is a better solution.
The problem is that the head of the department can pinch a penny
until it screams -- convincing him to go with SCSI will take some
doing, but it's not impossible.

When I find out how long we'll be using the machine, I'll be able
to justify some higher costs since we sometimes set these things
up temporarily(6 months or less). The longer the term, the more
they'll be willing to spend(thanks to moore's law :).

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. vinum reliability? other IDE RAID solutions?

Has anyone tested vinum's fault-tolerance rigorously, e.g. pulled the plug
on a drive in a running system? I'd like to know how it would recover from
a drive failure, but am unable to test this at the moment.

Also, has anyone tested low-cost IDE RAID solutions, such as DupliDisk
(transparent RAID-1 with 2 drives in an enclosure) and can comment on
their performance? I presume that Promise's newer controllers aren't
supported yet.

-mjy

2. Serial Port reading problem

3. RAID RAID RAID

4. Netware and TCP/IP

5. Raid performace issues (Raid 5 vs. Raid 0+1) with database files

6. permission denied

7. Installing Linux on a RAID array using the Promise PDC20276 ATA 133 RAID controller

8. cd rom bluse

9. Linux software RAID mirroring eq. HPT370 RAID mirroring ?

10. built-in IDE RAID vs. Linux-level RAID?

11. Abit KT7-RAID & Linux Software RAID

12. Linux software RAID vs. hardware RAID

13. Linux and Raid 0 on a ABit KT7-RAID?