>Why BSD port to Mac exists but not Linux port ?!?!?!?

>Why BSD port to Mac exists but not Linux port ?!?!?!?

Post by Ted Okuzu » Tue, 07 Feb 1995 12:29:05

Is there some reason why free BSD UNIX exists for the Macintosh, but LINUX
doesn't?  I know people are working on it (I hope) still, but my understand-
ing was that the kernel was the hard part to write because you need to know
the hardware.

What's different about BSD kernels from LINUX kernels?

Ted

Post by Grant Edwar » Sat, 11 Feb 1995 05:46:51

: Is there some reason why free BSD UNIX exists for the Macintosh, but LINUX
: doesn't?  I know people are working on it (I hope) still, but my understand-
: ing was that the kernel was the hard part to write because you need to know
: the hardware.

: What's different about BSD kernels from LINUX kernels?

The way I understand it, the Linux kernel was originally designed
specifically for the 386 architecture.  Only recently has work been done to
seperate the architecture dependant code from the architecture independant
code (and to minimize the former).  That process was done a long time ago
for BSD, so they already had a well defined processor independant package to
start with.

--
Grant Edwards        | Microsoft isn't the   | Yow!  I have accepted
Rosemount Inc.       | answer. Microsoft     | Provolone into my life!

Post by Lars Marowsky-Br » Sun, 12 Feb 1995 06:01:45

> What's different about BSD kernels from LINUX kernels?

The linux kernel was - in the beginning - a project by Linus to get into the
386 architecture, and so uses many features specific to the x86 line. Since
some of these features do not exist on other architectures (yes, the x86
does have some advantages;) so it is a _bit_ difficult ;)

--
Lars Marowsky-Bree   Voice: +49-571-63663  PGP-key via return receipt

Quote:>                  ... Dumm ist, wer Dummes tut ...                 <

Post by Alan C » Thu, 23 Feb 1995 02:54:01

>> What's different about BSD kernels from LINUX kernels?
>The linux kernel was - in the beginning - a project by Linus to get into the
>386 architecture, and so uses many features specific to the x86 line. Since
>some of these features do not exist on other architectures (yes, the x86
>does have some advantages;) so it is a _bit_ difficult ;)

Well Linux/68K is pretty much a solid product. Its just this business about
getting apple to release you any info.

Alan
--
  ..-----------,,----------------------------,,----------------------------,,

 ``----------'`--[Anti Kibozing Signature]-'`----------------------------''
One two three: Kibo, Lawyer, Refugee :: Green card, Compaq come read me...

1. Why Unreal ported to Mac but not Linux?

On 19 Aug 1998 19:50:06 GMT, Christian Stieber

You'd probably be talking about the <url
url="ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/audio/nas" name="NAS - Network Audio Server
system">

This X extension was basically abandoned when the X Consortium was wound
up and The Open Group was founded.

There would be wisdom to the idea of bringing it back.
--
"Instant coffee is like pouring hot water over the cremated remains of a
good friend."

2. Boot hangs with resolv.conf available.

3. ufsdump dd tape guru's I need your help

4. AUDIT: client 8 rejected from IP <ip> port <port> ????

5. Solaris x86 keyb locking

6. Why does Portsentry not recommend monitoring >1024 ports?

7. fvwm95 - explorer

8. Ports error in bsd.port.mk

9. HELP Port Forwarding on Linux: Dest Port Known, Source Port High (1024-65535)

10. /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk ?

11. HELP: Ports and bsd.port.mk

12. Linux "rwhod" daemon now available (and it's not a port from BSD)