Linux in a multi-processing environment

Post by HA.. » Mon, 25 Jul 1994 16:28:21

I wish to create a networked parallel computing system using Linux
boxes running TCP/IP.  The tasks these boxes are to perform is to
process images in realtime, and send the results to a host system.
The clients will also have to have the ability to receive databases,
paramters, etc.
Has anyone ever built such a system, or one close to it ?.
Any ideas, suggestions, etc. would be very much appreciated.
I know that linux is not a real-time OS, but I am thinking of
'adapting' the kernel.
If anyone is interested in the resulots of this project (6 months)
drop me your name.

Taufiq Habib

Linux in a multi-processing environment

Post by Daniel A. Supernaw-Iss » Mon, 25 Jul 1994 23:33:33

Take a look at pvm its on sunsite somewhere.

Daniel Supernaw-Issen

--
Daniel Supernaw-Issen

1. How can UNIX Multi-process with Multi-process interface

I am fairly new to UNIX so pardon me if the following questions seem trivial.
I have some basic UNIX books, but they do not cover the following:

I have two applications that can run totally independent.  My goal is to
link the two programs via stdout and file sharing.  Because each process
is computationally intensive, I would like to run the process concurrently
on two different processors (either one machine when dual processors are
available to me, or two machines).  I realize this is a global hunger
problem so my initial goal is to have both programs running on one machine
concurrently.

From my simple point of view, two possibilities come to mind:

        1.  Have each process run in the background of a single shell
        2.  Have each process run under seperate shells

I would appreciate any information on how to accomplish this task or where
I can get the information to accomplish this task.

Note:  I have an HP 715/50 and reading the man pages on the shell (ksh) has
only confused me.

2. Apache & php3 works...but

3. Linux and Symetrical Multi-Processing?

4. Blocking pings

5. ? multi home + multi cgi, multi email, multi log, multi support

6. APM on 1.2.13

7. Design of a server: multi-threaded or multi-processes?

8. Simple question

9. Symmetric Multi-Processing PC Unix

10. which proc for Multi-processing

11. Multi-processing and writing to logfile

12. Symmetric Multi-Processing

13. multi-processing