Is there an application group like Micro$oft Office for Linux???

Is there an application group like Micro$oft Office for Linux???

Post by Luc Bergero » Thu, 01 May 1997 04:00:00

I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...

Thanx in advance for all responses.

/********************************/
/* Luc Bergeron                 */
/* Programmer / analyst         */
/* Matrox Systems Lte.         */

/********************************/

Post by David M. Co » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
>that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...

StarOffice is free.  However, I find it rather pokey.  Also, there is no
english documentation available yet.  But if you have the time to download
it, I would try it out.

Another highly regarded office suite is Applixware.  It's $80 for students
(have any students in the family?) and $200 otherwise.  See
www.redhat.com.

Dave Cook

Is there an application group like Micro$oft Office for Linux???

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
>that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...

Pass.   There is also Applixware; see the Red Hat web site.
--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

Post by Thomas Tempe » Fri, 02 May 1997 04:00:00

>I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
>that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...

>Thanx in advance for all responses.

>/********************************/
>/* Luc Bergeron                 */
>/* Programmer / analyst         */
>/* Matrox Systems Lte.         */

>/********************************/

You might check our ApplixWare through RedHat. It's not to shabby.

--
Cheers....

Thomas Tempero                          Design Acceleration, Inc

(507) 289-8008 x 10                     1530 Highway 52 N, Suite 1076
                                        Rochester, MN

Post by Jost Boekemei » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

>>I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
>>that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...

What about WordPerfect? --- Oh, and i think there are others, Cliq and
GoldMedal for example.

Jost

Post by Evan Leibovit » Sat, 03 May 1997 04:00:00

>>I would like to know if there is an Office suite for Linux? I've read
>>that there is StarOffice, but is it worth getting it...
>StarOffice is free.  However, I find it rather pokey.  Also, there is no
>english documentation available yet.  But if you have the time to download
>it, I would try it out.

StarOffice is fully supported (and documented in English) in the version
included in Caldera OpenLinux Standard, which is scheduled to ship May 5.

--
  Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software Ltd, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
 Supporting PC-based Unix since 1985 / Caldera & SCO authorized / www.telly.org

1. Micro$oft Netmeeting thru linux router

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how-to use netmeeting through
a ipchains firewall. It works fine on the internal
network.

When I try to connect the outside world all I get
is sound (speech) and no imaging.

The ports decribed on the micro$oft side have access
thru my firewall.

I know there has some portforwarding to be done
p.e. ipmasqadm or something, but I'm not sure how it
works, no errormessages or anything, but still no
imaging.

Can anyone tell me (step by step) how I can get this
working?

I use a Logitech web-cam on a windows '98se machine.
RedHat Linux 7.0 as an internet machine.

Tia,
Greetz,
Ronald Scharroo

2. Audio Device Files

3. demonstrating linux in a micro$oft oriented world

4. IPCHAINS.

5. ProMovie Veideo Capture Board problems

6. Micro$oft DUN and Linux PPP

7. COMMERCIAL: Moo-Tiff: A port of Motif 2.0

8. Linux slowly creeping up on Micro$oft

9. Help Im converting from Micro$oft to Linux

10. Dictatorship of Micro$oft (Re: Linux/Unix versus NT)

11. Micro$oft Linux (mslinux)?