Question regarding burning a CD for Linux

Question regarding burning a CD for Linux

Post by Victor Wagn » Wed, 13 May 1998 04:00:00

: OK, say I was to d/l all the files neccessary to do a linux install
: from Red Hat's ftp site.  Could I then burn them to a CD and use that
: for installing?  I have a feeling there's going to be some problems
: with the long filename aspect and I don't think linux will be happy
: with Joliet discs.  Am I wrong?  Any suggestions?

Easiest way - burn CD (or at least prepare CD image) under Linux.
If you don't have Linux around, you could install from distribution
stored on NT or Win95 disk, using ftp, SMB (native windows networking) or
NFS (if you have appropriate server software).

Then you can run mkisofs to create CD image which could be written
to CD with either Linux or Windows CD writing software. It would be
RockRidge and no problem with names.

Actually, you can make Joilet CD, which would allow to install Linux
from it. You'll only need to modify boot.img file - replace kernel there
with one with Joilet support. It is simple enough, but again you should
have working Linux system to recompile kernel on.

If you have any other (non-linux) Unix system around like BSDI or
DG/UX, you can use it to prepare rockridge CD image. May be even
big-endian system like Sparc or RS6000 would do if you manage to find/compile
mkisofs for this platform.
I have tin news and pine mail...

Question regarding burning a CD for Linux

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 14 May 1998 04:00:00

[Posted and mailed]

Quote:> OK, say I was to d/l all the files neccessary to do a linux install
> from Red Hat's ftp site.  Could I then burn them to a CD and use that
> for installing?  I have a feeling there's going to be some problems
> with the long filename aspect and I don't think linux will be happy
> with Joliet discs.  Am I wrong?  Any suggestions?

See:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith/rhjol.html

That should answer your questions.

--
Rod Smith                                 Author of:

http://www.users.fast.net/~rodsmith       "OS/2 Soundcard Summary"
NOTE: Remove the digit and following word from my address to mail me

1. General Question Regarding CD-R and CD-RW Recording

I just bought a new CD-RW and had a few question about the process of
recording cd's.

1)  Can one record on a CD-RW disk in more than just session?  That is,
can I record a track; stop; and then come
back at a later time and record another track on the same CD-RW disk
without writing over the first track?

2)  Can the same be done for CD-R disks?  Or does
the buring all have to be done in the same session?

3)  Which is the best program to use for cd buring?

Thanks much,

  Jason

2. 128-256 symbols on my screen - HOW TO?!

3. Burning bootable Linux CDs under Windows - answer, not a question

4. Please Help

5. Questions on burning cd for Linux ....

6. Windows NT + linux

7. Please help -- error in burning or reading burned CD

8. Linux as Mailserver

9. Need help with burning Linux CD's on a PC using Easy CD Creator 5

10. CD burning issues under redhat with all burning applications

11. When I burn to a CD-R/CD-RW, my CPU goes high in Linux

12. Burn CD questions?

13. Question about DMA and cd burning.