Logging a user

Post by Rob » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello

Is there anyway I can log all of a specific user's movements, such as
what commands they have run?

Thanks

--

Rob Barnes

Web Page : Brother wrecked it, last time I let him use FTP..

Logging a user

You might take a look at the user's history file, for a start.

--

RedHat 5.2 Linux kernel 2.0.36  | "Penguins are generally nice creatures"

Logging a user

Post by Chris Hedl » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Is there anyway I can log all of a specific user's movements, such as
> what commands they have run?

You could always turn on process accounting (see accton etc) which logs
every binary run on the system by anybody (but doesn't include command-
line flags)  Beware, though; you'll need to watch the disc-space on
busy systems if you don't have a big enough /var.  At one of my previous
employers, we used to use this to generate daily stats in order to do
system load-balancing etc.

Chris.

Logging a user

Post by Stefan David » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hello
>Is there anyway I can log all of a specific user's movements, such as
>what commands they have run?

For bash all commands are generally logged in .bash_history. The may not be
massively useful though since the user in question can edit/delete it if
they wish.

You might want to look at ttysnoop - that allows you to connect to a
particular tty and monitor or interact with it. I don't know of anything off
hand that will watch for particular users and log everything they do.

Stefan

Logging a user

Post by Raymond Doetje » Sun, 10 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Login as root and go to the HOME dirs
Make a small script that cat 's the .bash_history file (only when bash
is defauult shell otherwise .history) in the users home dir. This tracks
all the user command entries.

Raymond

> Hello

> Is there anyway I can log all of a specific user's movements, such as
> what commands they have run?

> Thanks

> --

> Rob Barnes

> Web Page : Brother wrecked it, last time I let him use FTP..

Logging a user

Post by Rob » Mon, 11 Jan 1999 04:00:00

The default we are using is C shell.  I dont suppose there is a way to
do it no matter what shell they are using?

Cheers

Rob

> Login as root and go to the HOME dirs
> Make a small script that cat 's the .bash_history file (only when bash
> is defauult shell otherwise .history) in the users home dir. This tracks
> all the user command entries.

> Raymond

> > Hello

> > Is there anyway I can log all of a specific user's movements, such as
> > what commands they have run?

> > Thanks

> > --

> > Rob Barnes

> > Web Page : Brother wrecked it, last time I let him use FTP..

--

Rob Barnes

Web Page : Brother wrecked it, last time I let him use FTP..

I've setup a FreeBSD 4.1.1-STABLE box to connect a network to the internet
with natd and ipfw firewall.
I've also setup the FreeBSD box to let teleworkers log in with FTP and
telnet.

Now I would like to log FTP and telnet Log-in's from teleworkers who connect
to the machine from the internet.
I woul like to see the time and IP numer from which users Log-in.

I have looked at the /var/log/messages file but this only shows SU Login's.

All help is greatly appriciated!

Luke

2. lots of collisions, is this normal?

3. User logging (WAS: Is it possible to log original IP addresses?)

4. Using Linux with Earthlink ISP and cable modem

5. How to log user as they log in

6. Lock nic to 100 Mbps only

7. Apache- Multiple logs (log for each user Q:How do I?)

8. Linking problem

9. How to log user access info in access.log

10. Q-> logging user names as they log in

11. apache transfer log - how do i make it not log users from inside the network?

12. Logging user submitted processes to a log file

13. How to prevent users from logging in in single-user mode?