Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by Duncan Camiller » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 05:39:06

Hi People

I am a complete newbie looking for help on how to reduce the density of
printing.

Can anyone tell me how this can be done??

Thanks & Regards

Epson Color Stylus 600

Post by c.. » Sat, 14 Jul 2001 11:38:33

I'll tell you what works for me, though it's probably not the most
elegant.  (I'm kind of an old-fashioned command-line interface type).

I set /etc/printcap to use a filter for printing.  And I have several
print devices for different filters.  It looks like this:
lp|lpl:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp0360:
lpm:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp0720:
lph:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/lp01440:
lpraw:lp=/dev/lp0:sd=/var/spool/lpd:sh:

So lp and lpl use the lp0360 filter (a script placed in the directory
tree /var/spool/lpd/lp, there's nothing special about that location for
the filter BTW), that's for 360 dpi printing,
lpm (lp medium) is for the lp0720 script and lph (lp high for the lp01440
script).  lpraw is for no filter, I use that with the gimp which understands
epsons very well.
so what do these scripts, lp0360, 720 and 1440 look like.  Well, they
detect if the input is in postscript format our not and if it is, invoke
ghostscript with the appropriate arguments for an epson, ghostscript
has to have been compiled with support for epson, you can tell if you have
that with the command 'gs -h' which lists which printer types are compiled
in.  All of this is derived, BTW from a response someone gave to my
query on usenet asking how to get postscript to work with an hp deskjet
years and years ago.  Here's what lp0360 looks like:
#!/bin/sh
# ps_or_text_filter.sh
# This is a "magic filter" based on one in the Linux Printing-HOWTO.
# Checks the incoming file for Postscript or text and handles accordingly

read first_line
first_two_chars=`expr "$first_line" : '\(..\)'`

if [ "$first_two_chars" = "%!" ] ; then         # Looks like PostScript

else                                            # It's plain text
        echo $first_line                        # the stuff we grabbed before
        cat                                     # ... and the rest
        echo -ne \\f                            # ... and a formfeed
fi

      ----- End of the first script  -----
NOTE: These scripts assume gs is in /usr/local/bin, if it's somewhere else,
(you can find out by entering the command "which gs") then you have to
adjust the script accordingly.  lp0730 is (much shorter because I don't
bother to check for non post-script):

#!/bin/sh

and lp01440 is

#!/bin/sh

Make sure they're executable, use chmod +x on them or something like that.

Quote:> Hi People

--
Replace ragwind.localdomain with rahul for a working email address

1. Epson Color Stylus 600

Even though this is a windows-centric printer, can someone point me to a
driver/filter/how-to to allow me to print something other than plain text to
this printer.  I would like to print out of Netscape if this is possible.
Please let me know if anyone has successfully accomplished this before I go
out and buy a PostScript printer.

Thanks!
--
Joshua Morris

2. Question concering SBLIVE! driver.

3. Printing - Epson Color Stylus 600

4. __va??__pa??

5. Epson Color Stylus 600 &/or quickcam

6. using nslookup to find hostname

7. EPSON STYLUS COLOR (600) Color adjustements

8. Question On File Permission In UNIX

9. Color adjustments for Epson Stylus Color 600 w/ uniprint driver

10. Epson Stylus Color 600 woes

11. Connecting an epson stylus color 600.

12. Ghostscript: Epson Stylus Color 600

13. Epson Stylus Color 600 vs. Linux