NT 4 and Linux using the NT bootloader

Post by Stefano Gragnan » Sat, 20 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi,
I want a system capable of booting NT 4 and Linux using the NT bootloader.
My PC configuration is:

ASUS P2B Motherboard
PII 400 MHz CPU
1 IBM 4.5 GB SCSI disk
1 QUANTUM 2.1 GB SCSI disk
1 IBM 13.5 GB ATA disk
3COM 10/100 ethernet card
ADAPTEC 2940AU SCSI controller
SoundBlaster 16 sound card
SCSI ZIP disk, ISDN ZyXEL modem, ecc.

The 13.5 GB ATA disk is for Linux (before I buy this disk I have do a
partition on the 4.5 SCSI disk and I have a dual booting perfect system,
that is NONE problem when using NT loader for booting Linux!)
In the 4.5 SCSI disk there are 2 partitions: 1 partition 200 MB FAT16 and 1
partition about 4 GB NTFS.
If in the BIOS I set the IDE drive for the boot disk then Linux (RedHat 6.1)
start perfectly (the boot in this case does not use NT loader obviously) but
if I set in the BIOS the SCSI drive then appear the NT boot loader and when
I select the Linux entry I get:

LI

and the system is stopped.

I used both the bootpart utility and the manual copy of boot sector (with dd
if=/dev/hda of=bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1), I use the mode LBA for the ATA
disk (but I have tried also in NORMAL mode) in lilo.conf I used (and I not
used) the linear option and I also tried to specify the geometry of the ATA
disk with:

    disk = /dev/hda
    boot = 0x80
    sectors = 63
    heads = 255
    cylinders = 1650

I have installed lilo in the MBR of the ATA disk but I have tried also in
the first sector of the root partition.
I have partitioned the ATA disk with cfdisk (and also in preceding
installation with fdsik) and I have do a /boot partition of 16 MB for the
problem of the 1024 cylinder.

Please if possible help me.
Tanks
Stefano Gragnani

... SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH!!!

Post by Robert A. Obe » Mon, 22 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi,
> I want a system capable of booting NT 4 and Linux using the NT bootloader.
> My PC configuration is:

> ASUS P2B Motherboard
> PII 400 MHz CPU
> 1 IBM 4.5 GB SCSI disk
> 1 QUANTUM 2.1 GB SCSI disk
> 1 IBM 13.5 GB ATA disk
> 3COM 10/100 ethernet card
> ADAPTEC 2940AU SCSI controller
> SoundBlaster 16 sound card
> SCSI ZIP disk, ISDN ZyXEL modem, ecc.

> The 13.5 GB ATA disk is for Linux (before I buy this disk I have do a
> partition on the 4.5 SCSI disk and I have a dual booting perfect system,
> that is NONE problem when using NT loader for booting Linux!)
> In the 4.5 SCSI disk there are 2 partitions: 1 partition 200 MB FAT16 and 1
> partition about 4 GB NTFS.
> If in the BIOS I set the IDE drive for the boot disk then Linux (RedHat 6.1)
> start perfectly (the boot in this case does not use NT loader obviously) but

Then why not use LILO to start NT.  Entry in lilo.conf would be
something like:

other=/dev/sda1
        label=nt
        table=/dev/sda

Robert A. Ober
INFO
www.infohou.com

NT 4 and Linux using the NT bootloader

Post by j_bram.. » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Well, I'm new to Linux and I got the NT Boot loader to boot Linux this
way.

- Installed Lilo to the root drive not the MBR.
- Used "dd" or some such tool to "copy" the linux boot sector to a file.
- Placed it on "C drive" and edited Boot.ini

Explained in full at:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/mini/Linux+NT-Loader-3.html

Hope this is remotely helpful.

Regards,

James

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Resource limiting in Solaris 2.3/2.4

3. Linux on second harddrive, NT, NT bootloader

4. Linux counter: There are 6114 registered Linux users

5. Linux - NT ppp using analogue line (null modem driver on nt)

6. Diamond FireGL 4000

7. snoop

8. Using NT Bootloader to boot any OS: READ THIS

9. NT Network can see Linux but linux no see NT

10. which is better NT under Linux or Linux Under NT ?

11. booting linux from NT bootloader...don't work

12. Boot Linux on second SCSI disk with NT bootloader ?