LAN with Modem Internet Connection

Post by Alexander Craig Russel » Wed, 16 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

    I have two machines at home, but running RedHat 5.1,connected with
an ethernet. One of them has a modem that I use to connect to the
internet. My ISP gives me a single static IP address.

    How can I set this up, without extra hardware, so that both machines
can see the outside world when the ISP has been dialed up? Right now I
can either:

a.) Not have the LAN running and hook up to the internet with a single
machine, or
b.) Run the LAN.

Ideas?

Alex Russell
UT CS Dept.

LAN with Modem Internet Connection

Post by Tom Westbroo » Sat, 19 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Read the Firewall-HOWTO & perhaps the Net-3-HOWTO. Sounds like you want a
proxy server.

--
 Tom Westbrook
 Minneapolis, MN USA

1. LAN to LAN connection over modems

I have the follwing problem that I am trying to develop through to a
solution:

A LAN (6 machines) with a 56K modem on a Linux Server. LAN only runs
TCP/IP and all IP's are internet ready.

A Linux Server with 56K modem connected to an internet backbone via a
PCI network card.

The telephone line between the two is/can be dedicated to keep the LAN
connected.

I want to be able to connect the LAN to the internet using this set-up.
A possible addition of firewalls at both servers is later (at the same
time ?) envisaged using TIS.

Can anyone suggest a possible method that already exists or if there are
any guidance notes avaialble for this ?

I'm in the odd position of being able to both control the dial-in and
the dial-out and there doesn't appear to be a HOW-TO that covers all
this.

Regards,

Dominic Baines

2. mailserver with webmail access

3. determine throughput from LAN to Internet, Durchsatz vom LAN ins Internet berechnen

4. DNS PROBLEM

5. Modem to modem connection for 2 PCs to set up a virtual LAN.

6. tcp timeouts and ip_conntrack

7. LAN with internet connection

8. Help interpreting libc-4.5.19 release note

9. How to share dial-up internet connection within the LAN ?

10. Connecting a lan to the internet across a wan connection???

11. Need help combining 2 PPP connections for LAN gateway to internet

12. Can linux share a dial-up internet connection with win98 over a ethernet LAN?

13. Setting up gateway between ethernet LAN and PPP internet connection