Installing LINUX with IN2000 and LMS CM205

Installing LINUX with IN2000 and LMS CM205

Post by Mark Kambite » Wed, 17 May 1995 04:00:00

YOOHOO Everyone!

I'd like to install LINUX onto my Peacock 386-DX40 with 16Mb RAM from the
Slackware CD, but unfortunately none of the standard installation boot disks
seem to support either my CDROM (LMS CM205 connected to a Soundblaster) or
my SCSI controller (Always Technology IN2000).

I copied all the necessary directories from the CD onto a directory on my
hard drive (C:\SLAKWARE) to get around the CDROM problem, and found a
bootdisk image for the IN2000 on the CD and used RAWRITE to create a disk,
which boots up and says it has found 1 SCSI disk sd0, with a partition
called sda1. It also says "in2000_abort" several times, but I presume it's
just checking the other SCSI IDs for nonexistent drives.

Anyway, I then tried to install onto my main DOS partition with the UMSDOS
rootdisk (I don't want to repartition my HD until I'm sure I can get LINUX
up and running). I set the keymap to UK, and the target drive to sda1 (the
only option presented) but when I try to set the source drive to "Target DOS
partition" and tell it the directory (I've tried slakware, /slakware and
\slakware) it says the directory is invalid.

I also get an error if I try to create a swapfile on my HD, so I wonder if
maybe the partition needs mounting or something. But I haven't a clue what
to do about it.

Any advice would be very much appreciated. Please mail replies as I don't
normally read this group. Thanks in advance for any help....

 /\/)ark

--- Spot 1.3 #949

1. LINUX "plug & play" CD with Philips LMS CM205 CD rom drive

recently i acquired the Yggdrasil plug & play linux cd, and of course
being plugged in and played was the furthest thing from its mind.
the first few times i tried booting, it didn't recognize the cd at all.
on consulting the docs, it becomes clear that they realized that the
philips cd rom drivers had to be separate due to some conflict with other
cd rom drivers and they nicely enough included a boot disk for the philips
drive.  however, they neglected to remove whatever cd drivers this version
of the boot disk conflicts with and, while the cm205 is recognized during
boot, i unfortunately get numerous other errors (from trying other cd
drives) and an eventual kernel panic about being unable to mount root.
does anyone have any experience getting this particular version of linux
to work with the cm205 drive, or have any suggestions about how to get
linux running from an alternate boot disk (that they might know how to
obtain)?  i'd really appreciate it...
the last straw for me was that the friendly MSCDEX compatible "runlinux"
program doesn't work either (although it's supposed to work with all
mscdex compatible drives, which my philips is), because it immediately
reboots the pc rather than starting linux.  quite frustrating, of course.
any suggestions about that would also be appreciated....
thanks,
chris koeritz.
--
 To conquer oneself is a greater task than conquering others--Shakyamuni Buddha

2. Secure Message

3. LMS CD-ROM - CM205 + Linux 1.1.59

4. gloe.0.5 Motif based Text editor release.

5. LINUX "plug & play" CD with Philips LMS CM205 CD rom drive

6. Can I apply SCO5's Disaster Recovery method on UW7.x or Linux?

7. Phillips/LMS CM205 with Yggdrasil F94?

8. keyboard on a Server v210

9. Searching for Driver: CD-ROM LMS-CM205

10. Philips/LMS CM205 CDROM support?

11. Philips/LMS CM205 unrecognized by lmscd0.4.diff-patched 1.2.6 kernel

12. Phillips LMS CM205 CDROM

13. linux boot/install with IN2000 SCSI?