Xemacs

Post by Rick Kneb » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
 beginner could use
or should I wait till i have more experience?
Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks

--
Rick Knebel

Xemacs

Post by Rick Kneb » Mon, 26 May 1997 04:00:00

I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
 beginner could use
or should I wait till i have more experience?
Any thoughts are appreciated
Thanks

--
Rick Knebel

Xemacs

Post by mard » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
>I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
> beginner could use
>or should I wait till i have more experience?
>Any thoughts are appreciated
>Thanks

You should probably wait until your spelling improves.

-=-marduk-=-

Xemacs

Post by Amir Marre » Tue, 27 May 1997 04:00:00

> >I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
> >I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
> > beginner could use
> >or should I wait till i have more experience?
> >Any thoughts are appreciated
> >Thanks

> You should probably wait until your spelling improves.

> -=-marduk-=-

After using emacs for about 2 years, I decided to try xemacs out. I
have an older version of xemacs, but it's pretty. Many of the
key-bindings had to be set so that I can use it like emacs, but
otherwise works great. The menu-buttons in xemacs might be of help to get you
started with an emacs, even though with X, gnu-emacs was enough for
me.

Amir

Xemacs

Post by Omegama » Wed, 28 May 1997 04:00:00

> I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
> I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
>  beginner could use
> or should I wait till i have more experience?
> Any thoughts are appreciated
> Thanks

Xemacs and FSF Gnu emacs are both very usable products.  The nice
thing about emacs, is that it kind of grows with you.  As you use it
more, you learn more about it, and find more uses for it.

I strongly suggest you give either one of these a try.

me

   PGP Key fingerprint =        | How are you gonna come?
   6D 31 C3 00 77 8C D1 C2      | With your hands upon your head,
   59 0A 01 E3 AF 81 94 63      | Or on the trigger of your gun?"
Send email with "get key" as the| -- The Clash, "Guns of Brixton"
"Subject:" to get my public key |   _London_Calling_ , 1979

Post by G. Sumner Hay » Thu, 05 Jun 1997 04:00:00

> I ma new to Linux ie have been using it now for about 6months.
> I have heard some good things about Xemacs. Is it something a relative
>  beginner could use
> or should I wait till i have more experience?

The basics are very simple; the more advanced stuff can get complicated.  I
use Vim (a vi variant) but wouldn't recommend it for beginners; I can give
XEmacs a strong recommendation for anyone who wants to move beyond pico and
has at least 12MB of RAM (it's _really_ painful in 8.)

All of the simple functions are accessible through menus and there's a
tutorial included (as in GNU Emacs).

TTFN,

  Sumner

--

  Apologies to legitimate repliers.

1. eth0 and xemacs

Quick questions:

1) Anyone have a reason why bringing up interface eth0 on startup is so
slow. It takes a while on my linux desktop but on my Sony Vaio laptop
PGC-FX120, it takes a much longer time. I have it configured to use dhcp to
obtain ip address on my home network.

2) More importantly, can anyone tell me why xemacs will not start up if my
network isn't running but emacs will? Seems kinda strange that xemacs will
expect the network to be up before it will start when all I'm trying to do
is edit a file.

Note: My current distribution is Redhat 7.1 running kde on my laptop.

Any light on this matter will be truly appreciated.

Casely

2. keeping track of my programs? what do I use????

3. XEmacs

4. Redhat, slackware, infomagic prices?

5. XEmacs 20.3-3 and RH 5.1

6. Random lockup during installation

7. ELF XEmacs doesn't work

8. Change UID on solaris2.5.1

9. Pascal indenting ?. How with Xemacs ?

10. XEmacs-20.4 and RH 5.0

11. <Home>, <End> in xterm, xemacs?

12. xemacs & RH5.0

13. Xemacs