USRobotics 56K modem

Post by Jonathan Brent Whit » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> I was using a generic 33.6 modem running Redhat 5.? and didn't have to
> configure anything (modem-wise) to get the ppp interface to work.  I just
> bought a USRobotics 56K Winmodem to use with my dual boot Win95/Linux Redhat
> machine.

> I am able to get it to work with Win95, but can't get it to work with Linux.

> Do I need to update a driver?  I don't even know how to change the settings
> -- where the system looks for the device, etc...  I checked the make config
> options for configuring the kernel, but didn't see anything about modems.

Get a new modem.  Winmodems are only for Windows and absolutely will not
work with Linux.

What happened here isn't really that unusual.  The Winmodems are driven
by Windows drivers, rather than internal hardware, and they won't work
with other operating systems because the other OS's are expecting to be
able to send an AT code to the modem and have it start up, not write to
some driver.

I'm sorry to have to tell you that, but it is the only answer I have at
the moment.

USRobotics 56K modem

Post by da.. » Thu, 02 Jul 1998 04:00:00

: I was using a generic 33.6 modem running Redhat 5.? and didn't have to
: configure anything (modem-wise) to get the ppp interface to work.  I just
: bought a USRobotics 56K Winmodem to use with my dual boot Win95/Linux Redhat
: machine.

: I am able to get it to work with Win95, but can't get it to work with Linux.

 Unfortunately, a winmodem will not work in any OS other than Windows, hence
the name Winmodem.

--

 --> http://www.distributed.net/rc5 <-- The worlds fastest computer
---> http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=1098&MID=3229

USRobotics 56K modem

Post by William Kirkpatric » Tue, 07 Jul 1998 04:00:00

I am not sure about 'Winmodem' but I have a 56K Boca Plug and Play Fax
Data Modem that didn't work under linux at first.  My modem had jumpers
on it that changed it from Plug and Play to Legacy mode. that allowed it
to work in linux.  Only problem was Windows couldn't use any of it's
fancy features like faxes or other features.  perhaps that might help.

(please excuse spelling and grammer errors.)

> > I was using a generic 33.6 modem running Redhat 5.? and didn't have to
> > configure anything (modem-wise) to get the ppp interface to work.  I just
> > bought a USRobotics 56K Winmodem to use with my dual boot Win95/Linux Redhat
> > machine.

> > I am able to get it to work with Win95, but can't get it to work with Linux.

> > Do I need to update a driver?  I don't even know how to change the settings
> > -- where the system looks for the device, etc...  I checked the make config
> > options for configuring the kernel, but didn't see anything about modems.

> Get a new modem.  Winmodems are only for Windows and absolutely will not
> work with Linux.

> What happened here isn't really that unusual.  The Winmodems are driven
> by Windows drivers, rather than internal hardware, and they won't work
> with other operating systems because the other OS's are expecting to be
> able to send an AT code to the modem and have it start up, not write to
> some driver.

> I'm sorry to have to tell you that, but it is the only answer I have at
> the moment.

1. HELP!!! MANDRAKE USROBOTICS 56K MODEM PROBLEMS!

HELLO AGAIN MAX:Just to make sure you dont have a winmodem in windows go
to (my computer)then properties and then device manager.Look for modem and
click on it.If its a winmodem it should say us robotics 56k voice win.If
its got the win part its a win modem.It dosent hurt to double check does
it?I talked to the us robotics people and according to them they only have
one or two nonwin modems.

2. Making a package

3. Modem USrobotics 56k

4. Restricting access to one user only

5. Would EVERY USRobotics external 56K modem work under Linux ?

6. RH4.2-->RH5.1 and compile warnings

7. USRobotics PCI 56K Modem (5610-rev1) with COM5 in Windows

8. Large RAM amounts

9. setting up kppp on USRobotics 56K fax modem

10. Configuring a 3com USrobotics 56k PCI

11. USRobotics 56K in France

12. USROBOTICS 56k & AIX

13. Linux USRobotics 56k PCI voice drivers