Winfax issues when dumping Novell Netware for Mars_Nwe under Linux

Winfax issues when dumping Novell Netware for Mars_Nwe under Linux

Post by Peter Caffi » Wed, 05 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> OTOH, it's common for Winfax network installations to use a
> shared directory on the server.  You probably need to uninstall the whole
> fax system and reinstall from scratch set up to use directories on the Linux
> server,

Nah, it shouldn't need this. All files and directories were copied across.
(mounted the old server's directories under Linux with ncpmount). The only
stuff I really had to remake from scratch were passwords. To all
DOS and Windows clients, they're still mounting servername/sys/ as F:

Quote:> On the Novell server, by the way, much as I love Linux, if there's a Netware
> server with sufficient user count paid for and patchable to a current level,
> I can think of no reason to abandon it for file and print services.

The main reason is that the hardware is dying and we no longer have anyone
on staff who is Netware-aware. We're primarily a UNIX-running company,
and we'd rather have all these sorts of services together on the one box.

Quote:> Netware
> 3.12 on good hardware and patched to current levels is as stable an
> operating system as you're going to find. Only time it ever has to come
> down is to move, modify, or repair the hardware.

This is one thing I do like about Netware: it is very stable, plus, fairly
simple to reboot or fix problems with. I also like its `load module.vlm`
interface -- fairly simple. But in the end, Linux wins out because we're
on more familar ground when it comes to more complex issues.

Back to the issue of Winfax Pro v4.0, someone wrote by email (I'm not sure
if they posted) with a suggestion that what the Netware server is doing --
which the Linux server probably isn't -- is routing between the different
IPX protocols.

Where there are Windows boxes set up to "automatically guess" or set with
Ethernet types that are different to the Winfax Server, the Netware box is
acting as a frame type translator, essentially. If this is so (I'll test
this today), then it should just be a matter of visiting each PC and the
server and changing their IPX frame type to Ethernet_II.

--:     _           _    _ _
 _oo__ |_|_ |__  _ |  _ |_|_o _  pc at it dot net dot a u |
//`'\_ | (/_|(/_|  |_(_|| | || |            it.net.au/~pc |
/                 PO Box 869, Hillarys WA 6923, AUSTRALIA |

Winfax issues when dumping Novell Netware for Mars_Nwe under Linux

Post by Bernd-Ulrich Adrig » Fri, 07 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi Peter,

Ethernet_II is used by TCP/IP, so change the IPX frame type to
Ethernet_802.2 at each Win-PC
 _AND_ also at the Novell server, if not already set ( at the
server-console: load inetcfg)
_AND_ also in /etc/nwserv.conf at the Linux server.
You can list the Netware netconfiguration by typing "config" at the
server-console.
Bernd

<snip>

Quote:

Post by Ken Agre » Sat, 08 May 1999 04:00:00

>Hi Peter,

>Ethernet_II is used by TCP/IP, so change the IPX frame type to
>Ethernet_802.2 at each Win-PC

Not quite accurate.  Ethernet_II *supports* TCP/IP, but it can also be
used for IPX or NetBEUI.  So long as the frame type is the same on the
servers and workstations that are on the same network, things should
work fine.

Ken Agress/CNE