GRUB: adding a new kernel boot entry

Post by Francesco M » Sun, 05 May 2002 22:43:10

Hello.

I'm trying to compile a new kernel on my RedHat 7.2. I've got GRUB and
it works fine with only one kernel (2.4.7-10).

But I compiled 2.4.18 kernel, and created '/boot/bzImage'. I know that
with LILO I must modify 'lilo.conf':

image=/boot/bzImage
        label=My_new_kernel
        root=/dev/hda3
        read-only

But browsing 'grub.conf', I can see this:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
        root (hd0,1)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdb=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

I've been reading 'man grub' and 'grub-howto', but I do not understand
the sense of:
vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
initrd-2.4.7-10.img

Where must I copy my 'bzImage'? Wich is the meaning of vmlinuz?

Thank you very much.

GRUB: adding a new kernel boot entry

Post by nach » Tue, 07 May 2002 17:54:49

Quote:>Hello.

>I'm trying to compile a new kernel on my RedHat 7.2. I've got GRUB and
>it works fine with only one kernel (2.4.7-10).

>But I compiled 2.4.18 kernel, and created '/boot/bzImage'. I know that
>with LILO I must modify 'lilo.conf':

>image=/boot/bzImage
>    label=My_new_kernel
>    root=/dev/hda3
>    read-only

>But browsing 'grub.conf', I can see this:

>title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
>        root (hd0,1)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdb=ide-scsi
>        initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

>I've been reading 'man grub' and 'grub-howto', but I do not understand
>the sense of:
>vmlinuz-2.4.7-10

This is your old kernel. This file must exist in /
Quote:>initrd-2.4.7-10.img

This is a ramdrive. It contains kernel modules.
Quote:

>Where must I copy my 'bzImage'? Wich is the meaning of vmlinuz?

>Thank you very much.

You have the new kernel in /boot/bzImage, no?
Then you need to add a entry in /boot/grub/menu.lst :

title new_kernel
        kernel /boot/bzImage ro root=/dev/hda3

If the new kernel configuration is OK,  you dont need the initrd entry

Post by Dave Bro » Wed, 08 May 2002 03:04:25

> But I compiled 2.4.18 kernel, and created '/boot/bzImage'. I know that
> with LILO I must modify 'lilo.conf':

> image=/boot/bzImage
>    label=My_new_kernel
>    root=/dev/hda3
>    read-only

> But browsing 'grub.conf', I can see this:

> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.7-10)
>         root (hd0,1)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 ro root=/dev/hda3 hdb=ide-scsi
>         initrd /initrd-2.4.7-10.img

> I've been reading 'man grub' and 'grub-howto', but I do not understand
> the sense of:
> vmlinuz-2.4.7-10
> initrd-2.4.7-10.img

> Where must I copy my 'bzImage'? Wich is the meaning of vmlinuz?

If you have a separate partition for /boot, then grub will look directly
at that partition, and find vmlinuz-2.4.7-10 in its root directory. (When
it's mounted, its path would be /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10, but when you're
booting the system, it's not mounted.

If you have only a / partition, then the correct path in grub's menu file
would be:
   kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.7-10  ...

If you look in /boot, you'll probably see that "vmlinuz" is a symbolic
link to "vmlinuz-2.4.7-10".  In general, "vmlinuz" is the file that
is the kernel image. The "z" indicates it's "compressed"; the bootloader
uncompresses it as it's loaded.

When you're putting bzImage someplace, it should go in /boot, the
apparent pathname name used in grub not withstanding.

--
Dave Brown  Austin, TX

1. Help to boot new kernel with grub -delited the old kernel before tried the new one

Hi.
Can someone help, how to update Grub so I can boot into linux. I
updated the kernel with up2date software on RedHat and followed the
Instructions to delete the old kernel files from /boot and now I can't
boot into anything old or new kernel. What do I do to boot into linux.
And Grub boot loader doesn't let me run any usefull commands. Thank
you. I tried to update Redhat 7.3 so it would let me boot into linux
but that didn't work. Thank you.

2. Problem with getloadav with sendmail 8.6 under Linux

3. Solaris 10, GRUB: Howto add a menue entry to boot from CDROM ?

4. ordinary user beening able to pdisable a printer

5. How to boot new Kernel with Grub -deleted the old files in /boot directory

6. Catching Signals with PERL (4)

7. booting new kernels: lilo/grub problem

8. Compiling Tk-b4 for Perl-5.0001e

9. How many route add entries can I add to Linux (2.0.32) kernel???

10. ??? kernel: vs-7050: new entry is found, new inode == 0

11. Adding 'boot from floppy' option to Grub

12. HowDo I: Boot from Redhat GRUB to Mandrake GRUB