Visual Basic & Linux

Post by Ray Gree » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Is it possible to run Visual Basic 4.0 (16-bit) in a Windows emulator under
Linux?

Will I be ridiculed and abused for asking such a question here? :-)

Ray Greene

Visual Basic & Linux

Post by Ronald de M » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>Is it possible to run Visual Basic 4.0 (16-bit) in a Windows emulator under
>Linux?

Since it's 16-bit there's a good chance that Wine will run it.
See www.winehq.com for information on Wine. You might need to get
a copy of the relevant vb-runtime dll.

Ronald

Visual Basic & Linux

Post by Nicolas Saye » Tue, 08 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> >Is it possible to run Visual Basic 4.0 (16-bit) in a Windows emulator under
> >Linux?

> Since it's 16-bit there's a good chance that Wine will run it.
> See www.winehq.com for information on Wine. You might need to get
> a copy of the relevant vb-runtime dll.

> Ronald

I heard about a product: VBX, that runs VB under X, you'll find it
somewhere on the web, but it's probably non-free software.

                        regards.

--
 -=- Nicolas Sayer -=-    _   _     - Ingenieur Systeme - Paris -
Tel:  33 1.45.20.56.90   ( )_( )      -  NetCore - Consultant -

Visual Basic & Linux

Post by Ignac » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

 >Is it possible to run Visual Basic 4.0 (16-bit) in a Windows
emulator under
 >Linux?
 >
 >Will I be ridiculed and abused for asking such a question here? :-)
 >
 >
 >
 >Ray Greene

You probably SHOULD be, because Tcl/Tk is cross-platform. However, I
won't ridicule AND abuse you; just let me know which one you prefer
and I'll do only that :)

Visual Basic & Linux

Post by Ray Gree » Wed, 09 Sep 1998 04:00:00

You're a gentleman Ignacio, I'll just have the ridicule thanks :-)

But first... what does Tcl/Tk do and how do I use it?
I haven't started using Linux yet, so I don't know much (anything) about it.
I'm just looking at what it will involve to switch OSes.

Ray Greene

> >Is it possible to run Visual Basic 4.0 (16-bit) in a Windows
>emulator under
> >Linux?

> >Will I be ridiculed and abused for asking such a question here? :-)

> >Ray Greene

>You probably SHOULD be, because Tcl/Tk is cross-platform. However, I
>won't ridicule AND abuse you; just let me know which one you prefer
>and I'll do only that :)

1. A question about Unix & Visual Basic connectivity....

A question about Unix & Visual Basic connectivity....

Hi,
At our site we have a Unix machine with our Datawarehouse on it - on
Oracle. We would like to give the Users Windows NT PC's, running a Visual
Basic front-end. Here's the tricky part. We want these VB Pc frontends to
actually kick off C programs on the Unix machine to do various processing,
and to then pass the results (e.g. a print file or an a small ascii file)
back to the VB application for displaying on the PC - or drawing a graph.

But HOW does a VB program kick off and control programs on Unix? One of the
guys says that he heard that one needs software like REXEC (Remote Execute)
or something along those lines. We have a TCP/IP connection between the PC
and the Unix box.

Is there some s/w we can perhaps download from Internet and install?

If you can help, kindly reply by e-mail - I will be most grateful for any
thoughts/suggestions you may have.

Regards,
Jan

2. Trouble newfs and mounting Conner disk

3. Can't compile the kernel

4. HTML & Visual Basic

5. Routing for a subnet with FreeBSD

6. A question about Unix & Visual Basic connectivity....

7. WinVNC and KDE2 splash crash

8. Announce: Visual Basic 5 Linux

9. visual basic for linux

10. visual basic alike and linux