MSDOS filesystem

Post by Hemant Thakka » Sat, 30 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I am taking an operating systems design and implementation course.  One
of my project assignment is to implement an MSDOS filesystem support for
MINIX.  MINIX is a limited clone of UNIX for PCs developed by Andrew
Tannenbaum.  MINIX is intended for educational purposes.  MINIX uses a
UNIX like filesystem.

Knowing that Linux already has MSDOS filesystem support, I thought
looking at the MSDOS fs source code in Linux would be a good place to
start.  Trying to understand the concepts and the design idea from
reading the source code is an extremely slow process, and time is a very
precisious resource.

What I am looking for is a design concepts (i.e. algorithms) for the
MSDOS filesystem support on Linux.  I am looking for  the basic
conceptual ideas on implementing the MSDOS filesystem on Linux.  Ideas
such as how to map MSDOS FAT into inode, etc.

I would appreciate any help on this subject.

MSDOS filesystem

Post by Kristian K?hnto » Sun, 01 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>What I am looking for is a design concepts (i.e. algorithms) for the
>MSDOS filesystem support on Linux.  I am looking for  the basic
>conceptual ideas on implementing the MSDOS filesystem on Linux.  Ideas
>such as how to map MSDOS FAT into inode, etc.

Have a look at Andrew Tanenbaums book on operating systems. In
the filesystem chapter he talks about the MS-DOS filesystem as
well and explains some aspects of its internal structure.

Kristian
--
Kristian Koehntopp, Wassilystrasse 30, 24113 Kiel, +49 431 688897
"Ein Volk? EIN Volk? ?BEIN?B Volk? Nee! Hast Du Dir die Pappnasen

1. 1.1.9x and msdos filesystem compile problems

Hello fellow Linuxer's,

        I've been running the 1.1.88 kernel for a while and while I
was away for a couple weeks found that 1.1.93 had been released.  I
got the patches and tried to build the kernel only to have it fail in
the msdos filesystem.  I backtracked to earlier kernels and haven't
been able to sucessfully compile the msdos filesystem (either as part
of the kernel or as a module) and was wondering if anyone had
experienced a similar problem and if so has a fix?  Thanks in advance,
and if I figure out a solution I'll post a summary for others.

2. What ram works in the RS6000 7248 or 43p series?

3. msdos filesystem and dates

4. Technical Support

5. fsck for msdos filesystem?

6. HP UX version of kde

7. Mounting msdos filesystems and FAT32

8. no /dev/eth0 after setup

9. Unable to mount msdos filesystem.

10. Mounting msdos-filesystem rw for all users

11. Correct disklabel, kernel config for MSDOS filesystems

12. a question about mount MSDOS filesystem

13. MSDOS filesystem in 2.0.34