syslinux and "kernel panic no init found .." at boot

syslinux and "kernel panic no init found .." at boot

Post by kozlude » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 19:50:48

I am trying to boot from a syslinux (1.67) floppy diskette (written
from OpenBSD 3.2 supplied images), on the first machine, it has
succesfully booted and continued installation but yesterday i tried to
install on another machine but, at some stage while initializing
disks, it stops with kernel panic:

..
Mounting /proc filesystem
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
hda5: bad access: block=2, count=2
end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 2
EXT-fs: unable to read superblock
mount: error 22 mounting ext3 flags Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 136k freed
Kernel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel.

syslinux.cfg on diskette follows:
---
default linux
prompt 1
display boot.msg
timeout 100
label linux
        kernel vmlinuz
        append initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/hda5 devfs=mount
---

I have searched the archives but no success.
any reply would be helpful, thanks.

Kozludere

syslinux and "kernel panic no init found .." at boot

Post by Bill Marcu » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:58:15

On 25 Mar 2003 02:50:48 -0800, kozludere

> I am trying to boot from a syslinux (1.67) floppy diskette (written
> from OpenBSD 3.2 supplied images), on the first machine, it has
> succesfully booted and continued installation but yesterday i tried to
> install on another machine but, at some stage while initializing
> disks, it stops with kernel panic:

> ..
> Mounting /proc filesystem
> Creating root device
> Mounting root filesystem
> hda5: bad access: block=2, count=2
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:05 (hda), sector 2
> EXT-fs: unable to read superblock

That looks like you have a bad block on the hard drive.
Try using a rescue disk that has the "badblocks" program, or
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/null
You could try partitioning it so that part of the drive isn't used, but
sooner or later you will need a new drive.

--
"War isn't politics, my dear. It is indeed the only human activity that is
rottener than politics." (Rex Stout)