Intel Pro 100 VE Ethernet Card

Post by Joe Dumai » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 11:11:09

I added a Linux partition to a system that
had originally been Windows 2000 only.
On boot-up, Linux cannot properly recognize
the subject Ethernet card.  I looked at the
Windows configuration for the card, and it
said the following:
Intel Pro/100 VE; IRQ 20, Address 78C0-78FF;
Memory FCFFF000-FCFFFFFF.

I added the following line to the lilo.conf file
in an attempt to have Linux recognize the
card:
        append="ether=20,78C0,FCFFF000,FCFFFFFF,eth0"
Unfortunately, this did not work either.

Intel Pro 100 VE Ethernet Card

Post by Dances With Crow » Wed, 27 Nov 2002 12:20:10

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 02:11:09 GMT, Joe Dumais staggered into the Black
Sun and said:

Quote:> I added a Linux partition to a system that had originally been Windows
> 2000 only.  On boot-up, Linux cannot properly recognize the subject
> Ethernet card.  I looked at the Windows configuration for the card,
> and it said the following: Intel Pro/100 VE; IRQ 20, Address
> 78C0-78FF; Memory FCFFF000-FCFFFFFF.

> I added the following line to the lilo.conf file in an attempt to have
> Linux recognize the card:
>    append="ether=20,78C0,FCFFF000,FCFFFFFF,eth0"
> Unfortunately, this did not work either.

No, it wouldn't.  EEPro100 cards are PCI, therefore they have their
resources autodetected when the eepro100 module is loaded.  ether= is
only used if you compiled the EEPro100 support directly into the kernel
(which you shouldn't do except for highly specialized situations like a
diskless workstation that boots over the local net.)  IRQ 20 wouldn't
work on an x86 anyway unless the local APIC is being used.  Is it?

What does "lspci -vv" report for the card in question?  What does "uname
-a" report?  The EEPro100 is well supported and has been for ages, but
there have been many revisions of the card, and older kernels may not
grok newer card revisions.  The solution to your problem may be as
simple as upgrading the kernel.  You might want to post the output from
"dmesg | tail -15" immediately after you do "modprobe eepro100" though,
since something else may be wrong.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /

1. Driver for Ethernet Intel Pro 100+ card

Hi all.

I've downloaded FreeBSD 4.5 mini and now I'm trying to install it in a
machine with an Ehternet Intel Pro 100+ card.

I see in the web page that the driver for an Intel Pro 100+ is the fxp
driver (Intel EtherExpress Pro/100B ethernet device driver), but when I'm
configuring the kernel it doesn't appear in the network drivers. Instead of
it appears the next networks drivers:

 IBM EtherJet, CS89x0-based Ethernet adapters (cs)
 NE1000, NE2000, 3C503, WD/SMC80xx Ethernet adapters (ed)
 Fujitsu MB86960A/MB86965A Ethernet adapters (fe)
 AT&T Starlan 10 and EN100, 3C507, NI5210 Ethernet adapter (ie)
 Isolan, Novell NE2100/NE32-VL Ethernet adapters (lnc)
 SMC/Megahertz Ethernet adapters (sn)

What can I do?

Thanks in advance.

Iago.

2. Writing Device Drivers for Newer Kernels

3. FreeBSD and Intel Pro/100 VM (ethernet card).

4. rlogin, rsh - Connection refused

5. RedHat 6.0 & Intel EtherExpress Pro+ 10/100+Management PCI Ethernet Card

6. PC reboots with Evergreen CPU

7. Intel Pro/100+ Fast Ethernet Controller (Intel 82559)

8. nmon src

9. setting up intel pro 100 ethernet card.

10. Intel PRO/100 S ethernet card not listed with dmesg or lspci

11. Intel Pro/100 EtherNet Cards

12. Intel Pro 100+ 100% compatible with Pro 100B ?

13. INTEL PRO/100 VE